1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Detroit Bass Resources/Players

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by avocado_green, Mar 22, 2005.

1. avocado_green

avocado_green

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to start bass study this summer (probably jazz), and I am having a hard time finding a teacher as well as a place to rent a double bass from. I live in Detroit, MI and don't have a car right now, I might have one by the summer. I'm already a musician, and I tend to pick up things fast, so I'm not a total beginner. Is there anyone on this forum that is in or around Detroit?

PS- I've spent a lot of time checking out the newbies threads-thanks to everyone that helped make it, it is definitely a big help to someone that doesn't know any other upright players.

-Nathan

2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

You might try Dan Pliskow, (248)549-5575. He's on Wayne State's Jazz Studies staff and offers private lessons. If nothing else, I'm sure he could put you in contact with other area teachers if need-be.

You can also try places like Shar Music in Ann Arbor, or Rob Wilson (Wilson Fine Violins) in Birmingham for rentals, though I'm not positive if Rob rents.

3. avocado_green

avocado_green

Wow!!

I'm a Wayne State student that has been trying to find people on staff here, but the music department hasn't been so responsive. Is that a home number or office number (for mr. Pliskow)?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Call my dad: Gene Parker (419) 874-2158. Tell him I sent you.

Another guy that you want a piece of is Dan Jordan. Don't know if he teaches, but track him down for sure.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. olivier

olivier

I was studying at Wayne in the 80’s; Detroit had a great jazz scene then, and probably still has. Donald Walden was organizing sessions called the New World Stage where you could hear young James Carter, Robert Hurst, Gerry Allen, just to name a few. First band I heard at Hart Plaza was Lyman Woodard Organization with young Regina Carter. You can also check out former members of the Sun Messengers, notably bass player Kurt Krahnke who does private teaching out of Ann Arbor. I was playing washtub bass in a jug band (lol) at that time, and remember discussing about it with the late bassist Ray McKinney over breakfast at the Coney King on 2nd. I even did strait jazz on washtub bass (imagine the disaster) with Eileen Orr and Phil Lasley...
    Sorry I talk too much about my experience: your thread triggered outbursts of nostalgia. Thinking of Detroit makes me feel good!

The point is that, IMHO, Detroit's music scene is deep and fertile, dig in. There are other posters from SE Michigan onboard (mje comes to mind), PM them, and check-out also 2xbasslist and ask your question. One of the prominent 2xbasslist member, Bill Bengten lives in the Detroit area (I don't know him, but you could try to contact him). And don't miss Ray's dad.
    Good luck and, to paraphrase AHBG, enjoy.

7. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Not to hijack the thread but I'm in Lansing, can I call your dad also Ray???

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

He has people driving all the way from Chicago for lessons here and there, I believe. Columbus, Detroit, Cleveland, etc, are pretty normal driving distances for lessons. He's a bad dude.

9. mje

mje

He does, but after pricing rentals for my nephew I decided that buying was a better deal. If he quit after a year, I could sell the bass and it would cost less than renting. (Of course the little %$#!%#$ stuck with it and is in his third year now...) I think if you're thinking of studying DB for more than a week, you should buy. You'll get a better instrument, and you'll have some motivation to put good strings on it and have it set up properly.

BTW, a friend studies with Dan Pliskow and loves working with him.

10. avocado_green

avocado_green

yeah, olivier, i really love detroit. It's hard to get to a lot of the good gigs on a bus. Most of them are out in the suburbs, a lot of the stuff in the city is hip-hop and punk rock. I did get to see Saoco one last time before the Music Menu closed. Absolutely awesome band, their fretless bass player is one of the reasons my interest in bass sparked up again.

Funny you mention Eileen Orr, I met her briefly at one of Fuego's gigs about a month and a half ago.

I did manage to find someone that I will probably be studying with, he's a student, so I think he might be more appropriate for someone at my skill level. THe teachers mentioned here all seem very advanced for me, I think it will be better if I study with someone more advanced later on. THanks to everyone for their responses, though, it's cool to know that some people on this forum are local to detroit.

Also, I wanted to add that if anybody on the forum is selling an upright in the area, please PM me.

11. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

This makes no sense at all, if you stop and think about it.

To save me typing for an hour, consider that teachers teach. The material they teach can be advanced or beginner. Their teaching can be advanced (in other words, capabable of teaching almost any student) or beginner (can teach students that happen to mesh with his chops).

Dig?

12. avocado_green

avocado_green

i forgot to mention that the student gives lessons for way cheaper, plus, i like the idea of helping a fellow student out with a few bucks and some teaching experience. It works out well because he can meet on campus for the rest of this semester, which is where I will be primarily.

I will look into the other teachers once I get a little more mobility.

13. Steve Killingsworth

Steve Killingsworth

You get what you pay for.

14. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

He's not really paying a whole lot of mind to any of the long-in-the-tooth that he's tapped.

As long as the customer is happy, he's happy. I guess.

15. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Is that Danny Jordan, the tenor player?

16. LarryR

LarryR Supporting Member

Any thread on Detroit (my home town) that mentions Jazz excites me as well. Here's a great book about Detroit's steep jazz history by Lars Bjorn and Jim Gallert:
    Before Motown: A History of Jazz in Detroit, 1920-60

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-9289642-8259028?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

When I think of Detroit I think of the '68 Tigers, Lafayette Coney Island, Greek Town, Palmer Park, Cobo Hall (pistons), Olympia (red wings), Franklin Cider Mill etc..

17. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nope -- the bass player. He has a long resume, but an interesting highlight is that he was the first to play 'Windows' with Chick Corea in a rehearsal room, way back when.

18. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

And don't forget about the Ed Love Program, a weeknight jazz staple from the Detroit NPR station, WDET, on the campus of Wayne State. 7-10 pm, accessible from anywhere at http://www.wdetfm.org.

19. Ken McKay

Ken McKay

ED lOVE...... I forgot about him...good stuff.

20. avocado_green

avocado_green

Ed Love has an awesome show, and WDET is great.

But, what I was trying to say is that I can make it out to see these other teachers when i have a car, i don't right now, so i have to work with people around me, as well as those that will acommodate my (somewhat hectic) schedule. I asked around, and got lucky by finding a student that 1) has done lessons before, 2) is a senior in music education, 3) has a good reputation from other people he has given lessons to, and 4) has a compatible schedule with mine. It seems as though some people would disregard him because he is a student, but I don't believe making judgements like that. He has been extremely helpful in answering my preliminary questions. I started asking around after I posted initially, because i didn't expect to find someone so quickly that would be able to help me.

I appreciate the suggestions, but it will be a little while before i can really take advantage of these other teachers. I'm sure all of the above mentioned players are really great, it's just that I don't really have as much access as I thought. As soon as I do, however, I will find one of these (more experienced) teachers to work with. Once again, thanks for the suggestions, and I am still open to more of them. For now, however, I will take advantage of the opportunity that has presented itself.

21. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I don't think people are dismissing him because he's a student, as much as they are dubious of the ability of someone who may not have a firm grasp of musical fundamentals trying to help YOU get a firm grasp of muscial fundamentals.

I have opened the hood of a car. I know what the oil filter looks like. I've talked to mechanics about stuff that's been wrong with my car.
    You don't want me working on your Ferrari.