1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Detuner to B?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I was wondering what the options are for range when installing a Detuner on a Bass. Would it be possible to flip down from the low E to a B on a standard, wooden necked bass? Do any Detuners on the market have that range? Would it be bad for the neck to have that drastic of a tension change? I know Zon basses can have detuning levers that can go at least that far, but they also have the Hyper-stable composite necks.

I ask because there's that part in Excuse Me Mr. Manring where he Detunes his E down to a B as part of the riff. I kind of doubt it would be a good idea to try that on my Fender, and if I'm right, I'll just content myself with doing that an octave up. still sounds bitchin'.

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

IIRC, the standard production Hipshot Detuner won't do 2 1/2 steps down. I want to say it'll do 2 steps down, but I forget exactly.

They might be able to be pushed a little further to give you what you want. Personally, I'd just play the octave up like you say. I cant see it being useful in many other situations tuned like that.

3. mr.black

mr.black

should be doable. I use the hipshot GB7 and drop from D# to B without issues.

4. hoketus

hoketus

It depends on the instrument. For instance, my Schecter Studio 5 will allow a max. range of 1 1/2 steps.

2 1/2 steps (down to B) may be possible on some instruments, but I predict it would be a disaster in terms of intonation.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

7. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Buy a 5 or get another four a string it B E A D. The second option is far more common than people know.

To make a good sounding B you need a larger guage string. Getting an E that low it's going to be really floppy. Getting a B up that high it's probably going to break a lot and throw the neck adjustment off.

8. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have 5 four string basses. Only 1 of them is tuned E Standard. The rest have been tuned BEAD.....

9. Ezmar

Ezmar

Well, the Purpose I originally asked for was for a particular song, where there's a part that goes E - B - D - E, it's only down there for a second, so floppiness wouldn't be the issue, and a B E A D-tuned instrument would defeat the purpose.

Also, I'm not too keen on 5 strings. Having the extra string is useful, but the thickness of the neck slows me down. I like a nice small neck.

10. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    OHHH. You want to drop the A to B. Everyone thought you wanted to drop the E to B.

There's no reason you can't have more than one D tuner. I know a string guy that has one on each peg.

That's totally doable.

11. bassgod0dmw

What role does the instrument play here? It's the fine tuning adjustment that is built into the detuner.

Maybe I missed something, but I still think he want to drop the E down to B.

12. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Oh again. I miss read something. he was talking about song progression not the tuning in the above post.

An E dropped that far will be floppy (low tension) because the gauge is small for a 31hz vibration.

Octave pedal?

13. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I've never gotten my d-tuners to drop that low. The screw runs out of adjustment between C# and C if I remember correctly. And yes, the string feels like a wet noodle at that point.

14. Ezmar

Ezmar

It's not Progression even, it's the actual notes, like quarter notes. (They're not exactly quarter notes, but that's the Idea) So A floppy string wouldn't affect much, since it's down there for 1 beat.

I probably won't bother, though, since it sounds just fine an octave up.

15. bassgod0dmw

I wouldn't bother for 2 notes in one section of a song. Also, if you need to switch very quickly between "regular" and "dropped" it might be difficult.

There is a little procedure that a lot of players use to ensure strings remain in tune when dropping and bringing it back to normal. Basically you give the string a tug when you flip the lever...

16. Ezmar

Ezmar

I was just wondering if anything like that was available on the market, because that's how Manring does it.

Probably won't bother.