1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Detuner to B?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ezmar, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So I was wondering what the options are for range when installing a Detuner on a Bass. Would it be possible to flip down from the low E to a B on a standard, wooden necked bass? Do any Detuners on the market have that range? Would it be bad for the neck to have that drastic of a tension change? I know Zon basses can have detuning levers that can go at least that far, but they also have the Hyper-stable composite necks.

I ask because there's that part in Excuse Me Mr. Manring where he Detunes his E down to a B as part of the riff. I kind of doubt it would be a good idea to try that on my Fender, and if I'm right, I'll just content myself with doing that an octave up. still sounds bitchin'.

2. Dave W

Dave W Previously bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

IIRC, the standard production Hipshot Detuner won't do 2 1/2 steps down. I want to say it'll do 2 steps down, but I forget exactly.

They might be able to be pushed a little further to give you what you want. Personally, I'd just play the octave up like you say. I cant see it being useful in many other situations tuned like that.

3. mr.black

mr.black

should be doable. I use the hipshot GB7 and drop from D# to B without issues.

4. hoketus

hoketus

It depends on the instrument. For instance, my Schecter Studio 5 will allow a max. range of 1 1/2 steps.

2 1/2 steps (down to B) may be possible on some instruments, but I predict it would be a disaster in terms of intonation.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RAMUSIC

RAMUSIC

7. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Buy a 5 or get another four a string it B E A D. The second option is far more common than people know.

To make a good sounding B you need a larger guage string. Getting an E that low it's going to be really floppy. Getting a B up that high it's probably going to break a lot and throw the neck adjustment off.

8. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

I have 5 four string basses. Only 1 of them is tuned E Standard. The rest have been tuned BEAD.....

9. Ezmar

Ezmar

Well, the Purpose I originally asked for was for a particular song, where there's a part that goes E - B - D - E, it's only down there for a second, so floppiness wouldn't be the issue, and a B E A D-tuned instrument would defeat the purpose.

Also, I'm not too keen on 5 strings. Having the extra string is useful, but the thickness of the neck slows me down. I like a nice small neck.

10. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    OHHH. You want to drop the A to B. Everyone thought you wanted to drop the E to B.

There's no reason you can't have more than one D tuner. I know a string guy that has one on each peg.

That's totally doable.

11. Dave W

What role does the instrument play here? It's the fine tuning adjustment that is built into the detuner.

Maybe I missed something, but I still think he want to drop the E down to B.

12. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Oh again. I miss read something. he was talking about song progression not the tuning in the above post.

An E dropped that far will be floppy (low tension) because the gauge is small for a 31hz vibration.

Octave pedal?

13. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I've never gotten my d-tuners to drop that low. The screw runs out of adjustment between C# and C if I remember correctly. And yes, the string feels like a wet noodle at that point.

14. Ezmar

Ezmar

It's not Progression even, it's the actual notes, like quarter notes. (They're not exactly quarter notes, but that's the Idea) So A floppy string wouldn't affect much, since it's down there for 1 beat.

I probably won't bother, though, since it sounds just fine an octave up.

15. Dave W

I wouldn't bother for 2 notes in one section of a song. Also, if you need to switch very quickly between "regular" and "dropped" it might be difficult.

There is a little procedure that a lot of players use to ensure strings remain in tune when dropping and bringing it back to normal. Basically you give the string a tug when you flip the lever...

16. Ezmar

Ezmar

I was just wondering if anything like that was available on the market, because that's how Manring does it.

Probably won't bother.