Developing interesting jazz basslines

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Nick303, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Nick303

Nick303

What tips can you suggest to help improve my jazz bass playing?

I'm a reasonably competent player and I'm trying establish myself in the local jazz scene, I'm currently playing with a popular workshop and making lots of progress. I'm comfortable with ii v i's, getting better at sight reading and have a practical grasp of modes. I really want my walking basslines to be rock solid but interesting too, also I want to improve my soloing. I play electric bass, any and all ideas will be welcome.

2. Coeball

Coeball

Get Ed Friedland's book "Building Walking Basslines". It contains a fairly comprehensive coverage of walking bass and really helped me get into jazz when I started out. Also, it includes is a cd with some really solid backing tracks.

In addition, get as many good jazz records as you can get your hands on and listen, listen, listen, find out which players you like and then transcribe their stuff.

Good luck, jazz if a difficult style to master four years in and I have only begun to scratch the surface.

3. BrotherMister

BrotherMister

Go out and play with as many different jazz musicians as possible. Hit up jam sessions, start your own sessions just get playing with folk who are better than you as often as you can. When you aren't do that transcribe records.

Go out and buy as many jazz records as possible and transcribe every single bass line on them. Then when you think you know that go back and transcribe the entire band. You'll learn more from that then you will doing anything else.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Nick303

Nick303

Cheers, plenty to explore.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    Transcribe, transcribe, transcribe.

8. Nick303

Nick303

Yes I've been told this before, thanks. This is definitely something I need to develop.

9. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite Banned

There's so much to go over and learn, but I don't think you're supposed to develop the line without the music.

10. Groove Doctor

Groove Doctor

My walking lines lines used to be a little predictable & formulaic. But I picked up this tip somewhere:

Once you've 'learned the rules', make a concerted effort to 'break the rules' in the most interesting and musical way that you can.

Don't play the tonic on the first beat of the bar/ at a chord change. Learn when it sounds good, when it sounds bad, and then how to make 'bad' sound good by the notes you play around it.

Or if old habits are hard to break....
    Sing counterpoint lines to familiar chord progressions. Try to steer away from safe and familiar, and try interesting and unorthodox. By developing tasty counterpoint lines you learn to trust your ear, make more creative note choices, and build stronger conviction in your playing.

11. davidhilton

davidhilton Supporting Member

Get a teacher.
    www.basslessonslosangeles.com