Device to allow me to play to my music player?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MontanaBassDude, Nov 19, 2013.

1. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

I'm embarrassed at my ignorance here, but I'm old.

Has anyone found just a simple connective device that I can
    1. plug my bass into,
    2. plug my earbuds into,
    3. Then plug those into my Windows phone/music
    4. just practice bass lines along with the music

period.

I spent a little money on an iRig... didn't know I had to buy and download some hotshit AmpliTube program for it to even work. Plus I don't even see a program for Windows Phone / bass.

What am I missing here?

2. bassteban

bassteban

Vox Amplug, or probably most headphone amps these days

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

iRig is a guitar interface adapter for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

4. LordRyan

LordRyan

There are obviously a lot of things that could do what you need.

A possible solution is the Roland Micro Cube RX Bass Amp. You can plug in your Bass, Headphones, and any External Audio. It runs on batteries so can go anywhere.

Similar but less money is the Vox AC1RVBASS Rhythm Vox Desktop Bass Amplifier.

Also the Rockman Bass Ace Headphone Amp.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RandomBox

RandomBox

My brother ripped apart a bunch of cords to make an auxiliary cord. I can plug my phone/music player into it, and play music through my amp while playing bass. Not sure if there is an actual product that does the same thing, though.

7. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

Thank you guys. The Vox Amplug is exactly what I was babbling about. Your brother's weird contraption too RandomBox. Can he make me one?

8. Beano_z

Beano_z

Easiest would be the Cafe Walter HA-1A is quite nice, very small and portable, can take larger (high impedance) headphones as well.

I have the Roland Micro Cube RX Bass, which is very nice for when you DON'T want to use headphones, but IMHO, there's no reason to drag around such a bix box if you're not using the speakers.

With the Cafe Walter, I can just sit in the coutch and practise while the family is chating or watching TV...

9. RandomBox

RandomBox

Probably not. He just ripped a bunch of cords apart and taped them together. I don't even think HE knew what he was doing, but it worked. The only problem is that when I play along to a song, I hear my bass and the recorded bass on the track.

10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

FWIW - many of the newer heads/combo amps have this capability (I know my GK MB200 head and TC Electronics BG250 combo do).

11. phangtonpower

phangtonpower

There is also the Korg Pandora serious op headphone amps if you want to mess around with different sounds. I used to use one, but now use my 3 Leaf Audio Enabler which is also a DI box and preamp along with a headphone amp. Small and portable, but you do need a power adapter.

12. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Pockit Rockit. Ive been using the same one since 1998, its been all over the world with me many times. Cost was $40

DWBass likes this.
  13. Panek

Panek

Here's what I do with my Fender P-Bass:

1) AmpliTube
    2) 1/4" - 3.5mm adapter
    3) Basic SoundBlaster audio card
    4) ASIO4ALL audio driver

Hook up the bass directly into the line in of the SoundBlaster.
    (Before anyone asks: never had any impedance and sound issues whatsoever with the bass or my PC, and I've been doing this for 3+ years easily with the same sound card)
    Then you have to download ASIO4ALL audio drivers, at least that's what I had to do for it to work properly. When you have everything hooked up and installed, you need to go tweaking around in the audio input/output options in your PC. That means line in input levels in Windows, ASIO4ALL so you can hear two sound sources (line in and player at the same time) WinAmp (or your other preferred player) config for output so you can jam along to your tunes and AmpliTube for other settings.

It's been a very long while since I set everything up and I can't tell you the details, but after an hour or two of poking around I got everything to work and it's my only practice and home recording rig. Hook up the bass, load up AmpliTube and I'm ready to try lots of effects, simulated amps, then I can record whatever ideas come to mind, and that's really convenient.

Heard somewhere that I can hook up the Monitor Outputs from my Acoustic 370 to my PC, but never tried that.

14. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

I have a small Behringer 4 channel mixer. Channels 1 & 2 are XLR / 1/4" connector and 3 & 4 are 1/4".

I run my iPod or iPad into channel 1 using a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter.
    Bass gets run into channel 2.

I have a nice set of AKG headphones that I practice through.

[​IMG]

15. mjmeche

mjmeche Supporting Member

I bought a Tascam Gtr1 guitar trainer. Copy music to a sd card put it in. Plug bass and headphones. Change keys, slow or speed it up best ever

16. Mark Nye

Mark Nye

I've found that the best bang/buck ratio for this is the GK MB200. I picked one up for $150 used (cheaper than some high-end headphone amps). It's perfect for practicing to tracks via headphones, and it serves as a totally gig-able backup amp should my main amp ever crap out or get stolen. Plus, it's very small and light. About the size/weight of a large direct box or effects pedal.

You'll find that many of the small class D heads currently available come equipped with line-in/headphone-out, and don't need to be connected to a cab. I'd suggest a cheap/used one before I'd suggest a headphone amp any day (but admittedly, I have an affinity for multi-functional devices and an equally severe aversion to one-trick ponies). You may not *need* another amp, but it can be a cost effective way to do what you need as far as practice, with the added bonus of being able to hook up to a cab and go if the need arises.

17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Tascam Bass Trainer MP3 version.
    Use with headphones or your amp.
    Holds 250 tunes approx.
    Tuner,metronome,loop feature for licks etc...
    Fits in your pocket

18. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

I tried both the iRig and Amplug - did not like them at all.
    I like this one:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Korg-Pa...Multi-Effects-Processor-106673734-i1746467.gc

This runs a very long time on one AA cell. Like many gizmos it's more aimed at guitar -what else in new- but it has plenty of eq control for bass. You can make 4 presets which is handy. For me, it made the other two I tried seem like junk.

19. DRafalske

DRafalske

Big +1 to this. I have a TC BH250 I picked up to carry as a backup to my SVT and use at home for practice.
    I can plug in headphones, bass, and MP3 player to it for silent practice or hook it up to a cab if I feel like keeping the neighbors up. It even has a built-in tuner and is a damn nice sounding head to boot.

20. Yeti_carnage

Yeti_carnage

+1 for an amp head that has an aux jack and a head phone jack. I have a markbass head that I practice through. It's on the pricey side just for practice, but I think you can get a GK cheaper.

21. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Same here. I have two of the original models.