Dexter Redding - The Awakening

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by DWBass, May 11, 2006.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Erotic Groove

The Awakening

For those that don't know. Dexter Redding is one of the late Otis Redding's sons! He was also a pretty damn good bassist and a great slapper. He is the original writer of The Awakening. A tune Les Claypool seems to have latched on to! Anyway, here is the original recording and another tune with a wicked slap groove played and recorded by Dexter Redding!

Enjoy!

2. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Another great song by the Reddings was "In my Pants" and "Parasite" produced by Larry Blackmon and Charlie Singleton of Cameo.

3. jokerk874

jokerk874

I never knew Claypool re-mastered it; I thought Les was the writer :meh:
    oh well still a great tune

4. Petary791

Petary791

Wow, Claypool changed it up a lot. Claypool's version was the first one I heard.

The original appears to be E major and Claypool's is E dorian.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

I always knew deep inside that it wasn't a Claypool original. I just never knew who was the original artist. He also does a cover of Tippi Toes by The Meters and a cover of Pudding Time by a guy I can't remember. The good thing is that I usually like Claypool's version better than the original due to more fluid slapping and better tone.

-Eric.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Thanks for giving props to the original bassist on the Awakening. Everyone credits Claypool for it, and Claypool never seems to credit the people he covers. :meh:

8. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    +1

And I'm still angry about it!! I mean, Les is cool and all but if you're gonna cop licks (or entire songs), give credit where credit is due! We haven't heard from Dexter in a long while and I just refuse to let him fall through the cracks!! He belongs up there with all the other bassists we chat about daily!

9. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Really? I find his version to be extremely sloppy! Tone wise.......yeah. Only because it was recorded in a different era!

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Upon listening, I prefer the original... maybe it's due to the subtle overdubs at the end, or the E major thang, I don't know... or maybe because he wrote it first. ;)

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Most people think Claypool is the original composer,mainly because he never mentions where he got it from and he comes off as if he is the original composer.I remember once a bassist was talking to me about the song The Awakening by Claypool and how he wrote this awesome piece of music and when I told him where Claypool got it from he seriously did not believe me and nor did he want to believe me,I've even encountered Kat's who think that the only 6 string Bassist that exist is Claypool and John Patitucci or just Claypool and when I mention Anthony Jackson they respond with who's that ? :)

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Same here Jauqo... I don't understand how someone can be so close minded that if you tell them Claypool didn't write Awakening, the reaction is complete shock and disbelief.

Claypool needs to start giving some credit where credit is due.

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Whats even more interesting is that you can point them to where it came from and they still don't want to accept.

14. Juneau

Juneau

Thanks for posting the mp3, I've always wanted to hear the original. I thought on Highball with the Devil liner notes it said a little somthing about each song and mentioned Dexter Redding about that song. I am going from memory though, which isnt the best thing for me, so maybe I am mistaken.

15. Harper

Harper

2 years later....

I have an interview or two from around the time "Highball" came out where Claypool talks about the Dexter Redding version. He admits to copping a lot of licks from him, so I'd hardly say he doesn't give due credit.

That being said, I MUCH prefer the Redding's version of the tune.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Yes but it took him a looooooooong time to give Dexter Redding some props.

17. Harper

Harper

Ah, but these are articles from around the time he started playing The Awakening. I'm sure that if the tune was brought up in a current interview he'd still give props.

18. KenToby

KenToby

There is another Redding song off that album that got all the airplay back in the day called "Remote control". It was a nice little dance tune but The Awakening is one of those numbers that helped me to be the slapper I am today; I must play it 10times a week just to stay sharp. I have the original vinyl album that I plan on transfering onto my iPod one of these days.
    Les Claypool does a real hack job compared to the original, pretty sloppy in my opinion.

19. DWBass

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Agreed!

20. throwdown

throwdown

Dexter Redding played this tune with way more energy than Les Claypool will ever have. Sorry, but Les Version is just a ´cover´

21. JimK

JimK

I recall that as well...it was in Bass Player &, IIRC, it was a blow-by-blow/tune-by-tune review of Highball. The Reddings were definitely mentioned...I recall looking for their album after that & came up empty (OOP?).
    That was awhile back (& pre-iTunes, etc)so maybe it's time to do a re-search.