1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DFW GTG......

Discussion in 'Social Events & GTG's [BG]' started by g4string, Jan 4, 2012.

1. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

When was the last time a proper DFW gtg has happened? I did a quick basic search....it looks like 2007 (maybe)??

Anywho, I am new to the DFW area. It would be nice to meet some other DFW bass players/musicians.

If you're from the area and would like to see another GTG happen. Let me know. Lets see what we can come up with

Regards....Jason

2. g4string

LOL....my search skills suck!! There is DFW thread on the 2nd page, haha. It looks like that GTG ended up being a jam of some sorts and at a local club.

I am thinking of more along the lines of social meet/greet type GTG. Something where we can check out gear, chat, etc. Prob not in a bar/club.

3. tuBass

tuBass

It's time for another.... count me in

4. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

Alright I'm game however I have no car so only if it's near a bustop or in walking distance.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CDRhom

CDRhom William Murderface's Bass Tech Gold Supporting Member

I'm always up for a GTG.

7. giantjerk

giantjerk

Count me in. I can host at my home.

8. satwater

satwater

Could be interested. Fort Worth woot woot.

9. rickenbaker

rickenbaker

I'd be in for one as well

10. Stu L.

Stu L.

I'll drag this thread up. Didn't you arrange the first one? In Deep Ellum? That was a great time.

11. g4string

There are a couple of clubs who might be down for hosting a GTG in Deep Ellum. The wheels are starting to spin in my head:D Wondering if maybe we could do a jam session kind a thing along with the GTG....maybe invite some drummers, guitarist, or whatever out from an all day jam filled with nothing but bass players. Or maybe, do a showcase of several DFW bands....with some in-between for checking out gear, gabbing, eating, drinking, and then maybe a jam session at the end of the day. Or just keep it simple. Thoughts?

12. turbo chicken

turbo chicken

im in... i kinda started the discussion for the one at the Cadillac last time... i got there late ... got way drunk... tried to play failed... (first time playing on a stage as an adult) Yeah i was the guy who caused the train wreck :D

all you old doods had already left... :p

im down for another...

Want me to shoot emails to folks who showed interest last time ... i think i may have the email list somewhere.

i got some extra "vintage" bumper stickers from the last one too...

13. ThatBassistDude

ThatBassistDude

I'd be in if this thing takes off.

14. ThatBassistDude

ThatBassistDude

I'd also like to add my preference of it not being in a bar/club, cause of me being underage:( but I think the idea of having some local bands play would be cool:D

15. g4string

Ya, shoot em an email. I am thinking out loud here.....I was thinking off approaching a club in Deep Ellum. The club is The Free Man....very music friendly/oriented club. They have their blues jam on Monday nights from 10-2. I was thinking of trying to setup the GTG from 6ish,7ish-10. It would be nice to showcase 4-6 bands from the bass players in attendance during that time....with enough in between time for players to check out each other gear, chat, play, network, etc. So something like 30 min sets for the bands, then 30 minutes of free time, then another 30 minute set...etc. Then for those that would like to play who didn't play in the showcase, they can stick around for the blues jam at 10. Probably gonna shoot for one Monday in August.

16. mattj1stc

mattj1stc

I'm interested - just say when and where.

17. g4string

Lets start rolling with this then.

Alright guys/girls....PM me or reply in the thread your interest. Tentatively, I am going to shoot for the 2nd or 3rd Monday in August. Also, if you have a band and would like to showcase your group in a 20-30 set let me know. Send me any website links, sound clips, etc in case the club owner wants to know whats going on. If we start at 6, we should be able to squeeze 4-5 bands before the jam at 10. Bring your gear for show and tell time between sets:bassist: If you have any "friends" who would like to jam; drummers, guitarists, keys, singers, etc, let me know. This way if there aren't enough bands for the pre-jam festivities, maybe we can organize our own jam during the 6/7-10 time frame. Also, if you cant make it till after 9, we can prob squeeze in full band showcase during the jam-night after 10pm showcase....so basically, just let me know your intentions. Do you want to hang out, do you want to jam, do you want to bring a band?? The most important part....a bass and or rig for show and tell time is needed for entry. Otherwise the cover charge is $1M dollars. A friendly non-ego attitude is the 2nd requirement.

18. g4string

One more thing....I will see the owner of The Freeman in a couple of Mondays....on the 16th. I will run this by him and see what he thinks. Hopefully between now and then, we can have some firm attendees/bands/musicians lined up so I have some ammo/back-up when I pitch this idea to him.

19. g4string

When we get a venue and date lined up.....I will start the "Official DFW GTG" thread. Till then......

20. g4string

Most "bars" are somewhat friendly to underage patrons as long as they have a full service kitchen. Typically, it's after 9-10pm that those who aren't of age get asked to leave. I don't know what the rules are in DFW....but that's the way it was in IL....where I spent the last 33 years of my life. I assume though, for a "bar" to have minors in their club, that a certain % of the income has to come from food service....or some other silly empirical formula. I dunno?

21. Stu L.

Stu L.

I'm all for just hanging out, but I'm lazy and don't have a gig. I will bring gear for my cover charge though :D