DI and Tone Shaping on my Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tomhanzo, Feb 3, 2014.

1. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Hi everyone.

I want to leave my amp at the house on venues with good house systems. I plan on getting some sound shaping pedal and a di put on my pedalboard. I know the Mooer DI is perfect. I need the tone shaper.

My limitations:
    Less than $150
    The size of two Boss pedals or less
    Can be powered by my voodoo lab PP2
    Must give good control over mid range

I've been thinking the boss GEB-7 will do it but I'm open to ideas.

2. Twocanbassman

Twocanbassman

I had a VT Bass pedal that was great with boosting mids - perhaps the DI version would work well for you.

3. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Why is the Mooer DI perfect? Size? Do you already own one? I ask because I found it to be noisy a lot of the time, and the speaker emulation didn't work that well for me. And if you didn't already have one, I would recommend putting the money toward a preamp that has a DI built in.

Also, what tone are you going for? Do you want some baked-in flavor, or a transparent EQ control that will just give you control of your bass's tone?

4. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

I didn't know there was a DI version now. I need to do some reading.

I just figured the Mooer was right for the size and cab sim. Your opinion of it scares me a little.

On my Ampeg SVT III non pro I boost the 440 with the mid selector and boost 100 and 750 on the graphic eq.

That's why I figure the GEB-7 is just right.

I go for the Wolfmother self titled album sound. I play like the bassist of delta spirit.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

The Mooer cab sim does boosts lows and generally shifts the EQ in ways that didn't work for me, and like I said is kind of noisy when engaged. I think it's geared more toward guitar players that want to tame distortion pedals or somesuch.

If you're used to an Ampeg, I would definitely check out the VT Bass DI. It doesn't let you target specific frequencies, but it does give you a lot of options for dialing in a sound, and the drive is made to emulate an amp getting pushed hard (which I associate with that Wolfmother sound). And with the blend control you can adjust that to taste with your bass signal.

7. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

I checked out the tone options on the VT just now and the eq seems a little restricted. Plus I don't need any drive. I wish someone near me sold them. I'd like to play around with it before I bought. The cab sim needs would be met with the VT.

8. jumblemind

I guess I'm missing where that tone is going to come from if you don't have any kind of drive. The VT is made to emulate an Ampeg, so to me it's the perfect way to go ampless for someone used to an Ampeg. There are other flavors of the same sort of thing, like the Aguilar Tone Hammer, MXR M80, Eden WTDI, etc. if one wants a different flavor tone.

Graphic EQs tend to better at "fixing" your sound in certain rooms, and a straight EQ pedal will sound different than a graphic EQ built into your amp, which is why I'm talking up those other boxes. But if you're cool with a transparent EQ and DI and need to stay on a budget, try out the Mooer and the GEB-7 from places with a return policy. You can always approximate a cab sim with EQ tweaks if the Mooer is too loud. Again, I'm missing where the flavored tone is coming from, but that setup would work, especially in the average bar's house system.

9. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Oh I meant dirt not drive.

I use an EHX Germanium overdrive and MXR 108 fuzz.

I've heard about fuzzes and overdrives causing major hiss when DIed. I've been using my ampeg through a Hartke 4x10 XL cab. It's just such a heavy rig that I want to down size to a small vintage Gibson Thor I have for a stage monitor. The Thor is sweet but not a great tone machine.

I guess I could try just a graphic eq on my board to go to the Thor to shape it up. The venue can mic amps and normally does for my current rig.