DI Before The AXE-FX II, for converting the High output signal to lower lever!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by trident, Nov 19, 2013.

1. trident

trident

Hello guys,

I would appreciate you advise and help me I'm if doing something wrong!
    Well. I've got a high output active bass guitar and when I directly plug my bass to AXE-FXII, always I must adjust my input level on AXE-FX II in order to reduce my input and preventing clipping, so actually I've decided to use my radial Passive DI box before going straight into the Axe with the purpose of converting my high output signal to the lower level ! right now I'm taking a great sound off of the AXE with no clipping at all, its really smooth and warm, but I'm not sure if it is right to plug my bass to DI and then, with XLR to 1/4'' cable to the front of AXE-FXII! what is your opinion? do you think whether or not it damages the AXE? Im apprehensive about that!

I much appreciate you to advise me!
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Does your bass not have a volume knob?
    That's what it's for...
  3. trident

trident

of course it has, but while I'm in studio or wherever it not wise to decline the volume on bass!
    so, do u think if its a good idea to use DI in order to converting high output signal to a lower level, and then to the AXE input?
  4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Because it is better to overload the input? Interesting concept!

no.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

No ... that's not what a DI does. A DI (as in a passive DI) is simply a transformer that converts a high impedance (not signal strength) to a low impedance signal (to match to a low impedance input on a PA board). You can either turn down the volume of the bass or trim the input on the Axe-FX. Why do you think adding hardware to fix a problem you don't have when simply using the gear as it is intended is all the solution you need? FYI (hoping not to further confuse you) ... the XLR outputs on the Axe-FX are 600ohm ... exactly the impedance you'd get out of most passive DI so a Radial DI would be redundant.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002

Media:
    Trident- limit yourself to one thread per topic. Posting multiple threads across different forums is not permitted here.