1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DI Box or EQ pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by logans59, Dec 27, 2012.

1. logans59

logans59

So I think I'm putting this in the right place. . .

I always play at my church through the PA system through a pretty generic DI box, but I want some more control over my sound. I was going to just buy a 15 in combo and use an XLR to go into the PA, but I switch back and forth from guitar to bass, so I would have to get 2 amps now.

So I was wondering if I would be better off (and cheaper) if I just buy a better DI box with an EQ/Preamp (like Sadowsky) to use for both or to just buy and EQ pedal (Boss GE-7)

:help:
  2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Di box and eq. Honestly depend and what type of sound you are looking at. Personally I will start looking at dha pedals for that need :), real tubes inside.
  3. JetBlackJazz

JetBlackJazz

4. logans59

logans59

Those DHA pedals look great, and they're at a good price
  5. logans59

logans59

6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

The front of the house can undo whatever you do, so be careful you're not chasing unicorns on that one. But still, I think you're right. Why not look at something like the Hartke Bass Attack, SansAmp BDDI, MXR M80 or Aguilar Tone Hammer. All of those will give you a DI with an EQ plus some overdrive, so you don't sound too clean when going direct.
  7. nick98338

nick98338

There are several devices that have *both* eq and DI.
    I recommend what I use in Church → → → → → → → → → →→↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
  8. logans59

logans59

Would those sound good for guitar as well? they all say for bass
  9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

The SansAmp ParaDriver is often used for acoustic guitar. Not sure about the others. I think they'd be fine, but the EQs are voiced for bass guitar, so...not entirely sure. Maybe others here know.
  10. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

For a super clean jazzy guitar tone I've played my 335 through my Markbass Jeff Berlin with a 15/no tweeter. Haven't used my guitar pedal board with this amp, but intend to. Always play my basses with no effects.