1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DI from a tube head?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 5, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Lately I have been going DI from my Zoom B3 into our board without out an amp. I started thinking (uh oh:p) why not get a new tube head with a balanced DI and send that to the board? If I did that without plugging into a cab would it blow the transformers? Is this even worth thinking about?
    I was looking at the Jule Amps Monique but for that price I might as well get an amp that I can play through a nice cab as well.
    http://www.juleamps.com/bass/monique.html
    I may be just looking for an excuse to buy a new
    Ampeg V4B.
    Any suggestions?
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The smaller Fenders have built in dummy load, don't know about the Ampeg.
  3. M0ses

M0ses

Unless your tube amp manual very specifically says otherwise, under no circumstances should you turn it on without a speaker or properly rated dummy load plugged in.

That said, you could use a countryman DI between the head and speaker.
  4. PhatRon

PhatRon supporting member Supporting Member

the fender bassman 100T and the super bassman have a silent record DI out but that's one hell of an expensive DI. If you're only wanting DI why spend $'s on an amp? There are several great sounding tube and solid state DI's available.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Correct, it's not going to be the same thing, as the DI out is pre power section.
  6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Have you considered the Reddi tube DI? A less expensive option would be an ART Tube channel strip...
  7. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Check out this comparison of an SVT, a new V4B both miced and lined out of the back and a REDDI. Having both the REDDI and the V4B myself right now and having owned an SVT this test is pretty accurate.
  8. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Sfx RedDragon micro cops some nice tubey squish. The number of gigs I am willing to lump my tube amp got halved when I got mine.
  9. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

+1

Even VT bass or ParaDriver DI might do it. But then I am suggesting just another emulation. Why not run an amp and speakers?
  10. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. When run my amp on stage I set the volume where I can barely hear it. If I go louder than that it is too loud in the overall mix. When I do that it doesn't run through the house at all. We play in a small narrow movie theater. My amp is a GK MB115 that put in a stand that gets it off the floor and angles it towards the ceiling. I also point the amp towards me.
    I am getting a pretty good tone now coming out of the Zoom B3 but I am always looking to do better. We are also looking into IEMs for me.
    So it sounds like I will need to try out the drivers that have been mentioned to see if that sounds any better than what I have now.
    The other option I have considered is a small tube amp running through a 1X10 cab. I don't need too much volume and the 10" speaker might be more directional.
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You need a Mesa d180 like nobody else.
  12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I have a RBI rack preamp, VT Bass v2 pedal (similar to the VT Bass DI just no XLR), got a V4B 2 days ago, and just picked up a Para Driver DI today (great deal on CL). I also just sold a Zoom B3.

The digital modeling in the Zoom is good - but any of the Tech 21 products are better IMHO - probably because they aren't digital modeling. Both the VT Bass and the Para Driver *really* make my TC BG250 combo sound awesome.

The V-4B is great, but a 41 lb, $1300 DI box is kinda silly, dontcha think? :D

I really think your best solution from a tone/size/cost standpoint would be one of the Tech 21 products, either a pedal or rack mount unit.
  13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Meanwhile, you just got one ;)

But seriously, slobake, for a DI only, the V4B isn't a great choice because as mentioned before, you need a cab with it or it will blow the power section. It's a great choice if you want to use a DI AND power a cab...despite being a preamp only DI, the DI in it is really good. But it's not made to be a standalone DI.

So what are you looking for in a tubey sounding DI? If you're looking for a clean tubey sounding DI, the REDDI is awesomeness. The Monique is quite good as well, but I went with the REDDI because I only needed a DI and not a full-on preamp, and the REDDI tone is bulletproof. But if you're looking for a DI that does a dirty tubey sound, I might agree with Tbirdsp that a VTDI or VT Deluxe might be more up your alley. Obviously it's not quite at the level of the REDDI or the V4B's XLR out, but it's really good for the money when it comes to clean tones, and for dirt, it does really well for a SS device, definitely better than any digital modeling that I've tried. These days I go into the board using the REDDI with a little Joyo Ultimate Drive pedal for when I want dirt (amazing sounding pedal for less than $35) but I still really dig the VT for that kind of thing as well.
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

If your thinking DI, how about the Khan tube DI. JimmyM mentioned that one in a post some weeks ago. Apparently it's modeled after the discontinued Ampeg SVT DI.
  15. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

At $600 I think I'd rather just buy a speaker-level DI and a dummy load/attenuator.
  16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Just because it has tubes, or takes the signal post power tubes doesn't mean its going to sound awesome. My Mesa 400+ was a great argument for using an external DI.
  17. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Silly question, but won't the 'drive' of a tube amp sound buzzy and nasty through a DI without a cab sim of some sort?
  18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Not necessarily buzzy or nasty, the DI will take whatever it is given and convert it to a balanced output to go to a board. The signal that is fed into the DI can be your instrument, the preamp output, or with some products you can use it in conjunction with the pre and power amp, in this case you tap some of the speaker out signal. The advantage of the latter is that you are using the preamp and power amp tone. If you want the contribution of the speakers, you need to mic the cab. Many prefer to blend the DI with the mic'ed signal.
  19. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Supporting Member

Did anyone actually listen to the link I posted of Jimmy's comparison of what lining out of the back of a V4B RI sounds like vs micing vs a REDDI? Lining out sounds ok but it's not the big tubey sound you get from the amp through speakers or with the REDDI. You'd get just as good a sound with a $200 Radial DI as you would coming outta the back of the V4B.

slobake, what you've described you need is a REDDI plain and simple. Notice more than one person has brought it up? Try to borrow or rent one. The results for most of us have been so immediately staggering that there really wasn't any question as to its value. To be perfectly honest the V4B/ SVT-212AV rig I just bought was because I wanted an amp that sounds as good on stage as the REDDI does recorded and through a PA. The Ampeg is close but for me the REDDI is still the benchmark. That's a helluva DI, no?

Someone always sneers when you suggest a $700 DI and it is a real lot of money for a DI. But it's still the cheapest and by far easiest way to get a miced tube amp sound through a PA.
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

God forbid we spend money on sounding good in FOH, right? ;) I mean, who cares what the audience hears, as long as our on stage tone is good.