DI from line out on amp

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by KlystronNoir, Jan 3, 2014.

1. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

Their has been a lot of talk recently about speaker simulation on the talkbass forums. But I wanted to ask you of you if you have ever run a DI from the line out of an amp live or in the studio. I just got an SVT tube di and was considering the using it live in this application. Im playing with different engineers every night and micing is never an option. Is this a bad idea? Will it sound bad with effects or help me capture my tone?

2. Dan Bozek

Dan Bozek

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist, D'addario Strings
    I'll chime in on this with my two cents at least. I'd prefer that SVT DI to the DI on an amp any day. I usually carry a Radial passive JDI in my stuff because I like the way that DI sounds too. Very smooth sounding transformer for my basses. I don't like the active one as much, but folks like it for bass too. The A Designs REDDI is killer, and I've used a Demeter and an Evil Twin before at studios, and they were great, but all a lot of cash. The guy that designed the SVT for Ampeg is making his own box now, (sorry I can't remember the name) and a violin player friend of mine loves it because it is a little more aggressive than the Ampeg one he used to use.

It isn't that head DIs are bad. They work fine. But other options can definitely sound better or different. Like everything else in the music gear industry these days, there are a lot of flavors.

For club stuff, simulators strike me as overkill because the sound of your amp in the room is what a good engineer is supplementing anyway. I've been curious about experimenting with a Palmer in situations where I'm building my own IEM mix with an Aviom mixer because it might sound good for FOH AND also sound a little more compelling in my own head than a regular DI and still as simple as plugging a single line into the snake. I don't like using IEMS, so I'm up for trying anything that isn't going to make life any more complicated and make using them a happier experience.

3. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

Thanks for the reply Dan. But what I actually meant and mistakenly did not make clear at all was that I was considering sending the SVT tube DI to foh post eq from my amp but with no speaker simulation.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Dan, it's called the Khan VTDI now. Obeid Khan, who used to be an engineer at Ampeg, makes it. Me, I'm sticking with the REDDI. Served me well for a year and a half so far and it's freaking amazing, but nothing at all wrong with the SVT-DI.

You could run the SVT-DI from your line out in your amp, sure. Some might argue it's overkill to do so, though, and many soundmen would rather you let them control the tone and not involve your amp. Never was fond of that type of soundman because they often end up ignoring what you want for a sound, plus they tend to get mad if you change your sound or volume during the gig. I much prefer soundmen who roll with whatever you want.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

Thanks Jimmy. If I run this setup with fuzz overdrive etc would it still work well? Sorry for posting this here, the amp forum was probably more suitable.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    You will need a way to cut highs past 4 or 5k with a fuzzbox or overdrive, as those frequencies often sound like poopycaca with distortion and they can easily blow tweeters in the soundman's nice PA. And that's where speaker sims come into play.

8. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

Could I effectively cut those highs with a boss bass eq?

9. KlystronNoir

KlystronNoir

I also have a digitech synth wah which apparently has a speaker sim.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I suppose you could use the Boss if you pull down the 10k slider. I just got a Bass Synth Wah and you can use its speaker sim as well, but I ended up hating it because it boosted a really ugly part of the midrange. Didn't notice it at home so much, but it sure uglied up the sound of my electric and my upright especially. Turned it off and my sound returned to normal.