1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DI only live

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by 5StringThunder, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 5StringThunder

5StringThunder

I know that for front of house there should be no issues running
    Bass->DI box->sound board->front of house speakers/monitors.
    But is there any problem with this? Besides not having a rig behind you. Is there any problem just using the monitors only for stage sound? If this was already a thread feel free to point me in that direction.

2. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Hell no!! If you have IEM's or a nice stage box, it's a great way to go. Back in the 80's 90's I played in an opening act in many theaters. Several touring bands, even back in those days, did exactly that. I did a show back in Nov where we didn't use IEM's but the house wedges. Of course they were L Acoustics that cost about $4K a piece, but the tone was to die for. I played two notes and turned off my stage amp. Having the bass directed back at you is a wonderful thing. At times I've used a QSC K10, and a REDDI for that purpose with amazing results.

3. f.c.geil

f.c.geil I'm your huckleberry... Supporting Member

That's all I do anymore! I have a great FOH setup, a fantastic DI, decent IEM radio, and outstanding earbuds. This lets me hear what I need to, clearly and at low volume. It also lets the engineer tailor my sound to work with the rest of the band and with the venue, so I always sound great out front. I'll not go back to using an amp and cab onstage unless I'm doing a really small gig where it's impractical to bring the big mains.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

It depends on the venue. Some sound guys will not run bass through the monitors. So if you don't bring a bass rig, you don't hear yourself properly.

But I play smaller venues. Probably not a problem at medium or larger venues with better PAs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

As long as the wedges can handle it, and your tone coming off the bass is "good enough", then sure. It's fine. Many sound guys prefer it actually because the tone many bassists dial in on their amps (and send through a line out on back of the amp) is AWFUL in a FOH mix.

You mind if I ask what kind of bass and what kind of music?

7. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

We bring our own PA for the gigs. I alternate between a Digitech BP355 and a BDDI straight to the mixer. I use a powered 15 monitor and that's it. I run sound so I get a custom monitor mix. Less to carry and sounds great.

8. MNAirHead

MNAirHead

Depends on venue, tech and gear

I always keep a small amp with di in the back of the car - - put a plug in the headphone jack to turn it off

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I've had people in bands complain that they want to hear me out of my amp and not a monitor, and I do a lot of gigs where the monitors are good for vocals but that's it.

10. 5stringfindlay

5stringfindlay

I mostly play smaller venues (not like i'm a touring bassist, anyway), so I tend to go through the board. However, the only negative behind that is if the engineer doesn't really know what they're doing. If that's the case you'll be struggling to hear yourself, and you might not sound so great in the room.

11. SteveC

SteveC

I only use an amp if I have to. At church we are all IEM, no stage amps. It's awesome.
    I do have some jazz/background music gigs where I use a small combo.

12. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Might have something to do with the amps you have - I'd want to hear you out of them too!:D

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    LOL! Actually, back then I had an SWR SM-500 and an old Tube Works 410 so maybe not as much as now ;)

14. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Last time I had a church gig, that's what I did:
    Bass -> pedalboard -> DI -> Avioms + in ears

Worked/sounded great. My worship leader had his Boogie 112 combo in the back room behind the stage mic'd up to still get that toane but nothing come through the front.

15. RichardCranium

RichardCranium Supporting Member

I've been doing this for a couple of years now. Works great you just need to have a good IEM setup. The bands I've been in have been self-contained and run our own sound so my setup is always the same I'm sure they're bound to be some issues if you have a different setup or different soundman all the time.

16. jaywa

jaywa

I've played most of my gigs since last summer with my bass, a SansAmp BDDI and IEMs... period. No amp, no wedges. Including a large stage in a 1,000-capacity hall and several outdoor venues.

The formula is pretty much the same as others here have said. Good front of house P.A. with subs and plenty of watts (our own), a bass-friendly soundman (our BL), and wireless IEMs.

17. paganjack

paganjack

Honestly not my favorite thing to do but it works in a pinch. I never like the tone out of the wedges and when my tone irritates me I am distracted by it and play worse. Maybe when I'm old I'll be sick of lugging my amp around but I doubt it!

18. jaywa

jaywa

Agreed that bass out of most wedges sounds bad. So I'll just amend my prior post to say that I only go ampless if I've got IEMs with my own mix. If it's a wedge situation then there's gonna be an amp on stage with me.

19. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Too many places I play refuse to put bass in the monitors. NICE monitors are REQUIRED here. Monitors that can handle your bass along with everything else you want to hear is critical. Don't assume a venue can handle this request without witnessing it first hand.

20. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

This thread is funny to me, because I've played lots of shows where bass and guitars don't get PA support at all. Ah, the life of an original rock/metal band...

21. rtslinger

rtslinger

All gigs I go through our PA (nearly any gig you get in Jersey you need your own PA) using only a BDDI and a compression pedal out to two Subs (part of the PA system)