DI/Pre question (idiot content, sorry)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ExistentialJ, Aug 8, 2013.

1. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

I'm sorry, guys...everything is in the threads somewhere, but I can't find it. All apologies.

I have a passive Stingray copy that I really like, and want to get a punchy and active sound from it. It was suggested that instead of modding with an onboard pre that I use an "offboard" pre, then run directly to my amp.

Will a sansamp DI do the trick, or should I be looking for a different pedal? I've never used pedals or effects, and don't want to purchase the wrong item.

Thanks, everyone!

2. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

Many like the sound of the Sansamp. It has a particular "colour" to it that many like. I don't, but you should try some different preamps if you can, to learn what you like. Second best is to check youtube videos of different preamps. I am a Darkglass B7K user, which was more the sound that suited me.

3. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

Thanks! I guess, specifically, my question is less aimed at any specific tone, and more along the lines of will a DI/pre/eq pedal perform the same job as an onboard pre in terms of making this an "active" bass? Thanks!

4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

You'll probably go through a few pedals once you start with them. The TB classifieds are great for sampling for the cost of shipping.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bjelkeman

IMHO a pedal generally will have a wider range of sound options.

7. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Agreed. A pedal pre will generally be more flexible and give you more options than an onboard pre. Plus, it's obviously much easier to try different models without having to install them in your bass.

8. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

Man, you guys are awesome! Thanks for the great info, and for not mocking my very apparent ignorance.

9. bjelkeman

You're welcome!

Do try some. Tech 21 VT Bass, or their Sansamp models are good starting points. There are a lot out there so don't by new initially if you can avoid it. You're probably going to change your mind about the sound a few times before you find what you want.

10. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The thing about active onboard is more the tonal options at hand than signal strength. Plenty of passive pickups are hotter than my Seymour Duncan setup. A simple boost pedal would get the hot if that's what you need.

I use deluxe BDDI, very handy with two basses and three patches each, or 6 patches. I don't feel BDDI gets a fair rep on TB, the mild settings are quite plain sounding to me.

11. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

Wow, this is all GREAT info, and much appreciated!!!

I have an old Jay Turser Stingray copy...cheap, I know. BUT, it "feels" right...super comfortable, well-built. I play Gospel, Jazz, Rock. The pickup is SUPER hot, but lacks specific punch and definition, if that makes any sense at all. I have it tuned BEAD - the low end is solid, but not punchy, and the top end is smooth but lacks character.

12. moles

moles

Don't be afraid to try something simple like a GEB-7 EQ for added zing in the highs and extended eq options.

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Some new strings might be in order.

14. ExistentialJ

ExistentialJ Guest

Agreed. Since going BEAD, I've been through 3 sets in as many weeks. So far, I'm getting the best results in terms of overall tone and feel from D'addario Nickels.

Wow, ok...I hijacked my own thread with string and gear talk...zoinks.

Thanks again to all for the great advice - it's sincerely appreciated!