1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DI/ preamp and EQ pedals on same board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Squawk, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

Anyone have a DI pedal and EQ pedal on same board? Does it serve a purpose? I figured I could switch my EQs on the fly. Didn't know if this was recommended or frowned upon.

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

I don't see anything wrong with it. Use the pre to get your tone then use the EQ to tweak for the room, or to dial in an alternate tone.
    If you use it for the first reason, I would put the EQ after the DI so it doesn't affect the tone to the house.

3. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Sure, lots of people do. Having switchable eq can be very useful. Why do you ask about eq and DI. Are you planning to use them together in some way?

4. Squawk

Squawk

I'm just new to the electric world. EQ and DI were acronyms I was unfamiliar with 3 months ago :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Oh, ok. The DI is typically used to send a the bass signal to the mixing or recording console, (the mixer). A common setup is to send the bass signal before any equalization. The advantage is that you set the amps eq and volume for your needs as a stage monitor and the soundman sets the eq and volume for the PA system for his needs as a house mix. So, in the simplest scenario, bass, eq, di, amp, you would put the DI before the eq. In the scenario you suggest, the eq would go before the DI. In this case the eq is used more as an effect. But now you have to make sure that your eq changes work for the house PA too. That can be tricky but not impossible. The best thing to do is to tell the soundman about the eq pedal. He will especially want to know about anything that changes how loud you are. He may ask you to run a sound check with the pedal on and off, just to adjust the gain setting correctly.

7. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

My DI has one EQ-set for two channels. An additional separate EQ pedal lets me get a better balance from two disparate instruments (such as when the fiddler forgets his DI). It takes some tweaking, but a good sound can be had.

Double Bass -> DI Ch1 —-> PA
    Fiddle -> EQ -> DI Ch2 -> ^/^

Of course, anything I do to the EQ on the DI affects both the bass and fiddle (or whatever's plugged in such as bass/guitar/mandolin etc). So it can get tricky (ie frustrating) matching levels and balancing out the overall sound coming out of the DI cause whatever you tweak affects the other instrument as well. Get the bass okay and the fiddle sounds muddy, so tweak the fiddle and the bass starts to get screechy and feed back...

Other uses...
    As mentioned, you could set up a second "sound" with the EQ pedal (for slap, ballads, verse/chorus etc.) or just for the sake of variety; Tune the room.... Good advice from Hobobob & BFunk.