DI straight into PA for wedding band

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gully35, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Gully35

Gully35

Hi guys as the subject says I've joined aband to play some weddings. I was thinking about a DI straight into the PA to reduce the amount of equipment we will need.
    I have read some good things about sansamp, I checked out their website and looked at the Bass deluxe DI and the VT deluxe (don't think this is a DI though!).
    I play a fender American standard jazz 2012.
    Which sansamp or other product would best suit my needs in your experience?

Some songs we play:
    Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl
    Rod Stewart - Maggie May
    Guns n Roses - Sweet child of mine
    Bon Jovi - livin on a prayer
    CCR - Proud Mary & Bad Moon Rising
    Jonny Cash - Ring of fire
    The killers - Mr Brightside
    Neil Diamond - Seeet Caroline
    Pearl Jam - Jeremy & nothingman
    Some Beatles etc......

Sorry for the long post!!
  2. Couvy

Couvy Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses, Source Audio
    Radial J48. IME/IMO with these things, the Sansamp boxes are better as effects than always on. Try one and see what you think, though.
  3. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

I don't know. I've used a BDDI straight into FOH and its worked well for me. You got to know how to use the blend control that's all. The J48 is a great DI for sure, but I like to send a little overdrive sound from my bass to FOH. it seems to work well for what I do.
  4. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Tone Hammer DI. It's exactly what you need.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

My personal opinion would be an MXR M80, as i'm a plug and play kind of guy. The voicing of the M80 will give the jazz bass all the oomph it needs for those tunes, especially with the "color" switch, and it's economical.

The Tech 21 stuff and the Aguilar will give you more of an amp modeling setup with more control but they have their own distinctive sounds you'll either love or not like at all.
  7. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Another vote for the M-80. I've used it in situations where a DI feed is the only thing needed, and it SHINED! Plus, they're not that expensive.
  8. Gully35

Gully35

Think I may buy the radial j48. Is it any good in the studio as well?
  9. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Yup, with the AGS on for your cabsim and and the gain turned down to keep down the hair. Then scoop the mids and sweep them to whichever frequency works best for your rig and the sound you're aiming for.
  10. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Gold Supporting Member

Nother vote for the Tone Hammer!
  11. john m

john m Supporting Member

A very small one (Markbass 112 combo).

Put it near waiste level or angle it up. Then use the XLR out if necessary.

Just my opinion.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    VT Deluxe does have a DI built in, and so does the upcoming VT Bass DI, and for about $65, you can have a regular Character pedal modded for a DI. I switched to the REDDI, but I'll give it up to Tech 21 for making a very Ampeg-sounding DI for not a lot of money.
  13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I would never go straight to PA for a wedding gig. Those tend to be our bigger money makers and I want to do them right.

That said, I would use my Countryman DI over my Sansamp BDDI. But I have to admit the BDDI isn't a bad DI as long as you keep the effect part off.
  14. Mushroo

Mushroo

+1 for the Countryman. Clean and simple is the ticket.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

BDDI deluxe here. I'd like to try a VT version but the BDDI does it for me so I haven't put myself out.
  16. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

I see your point and kind of agree - the getting it right part. However, wedding gigs are one of those awkward ones to get right volume wise. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A lot of bands play weddings like a bar gig or concert and aim to fill the room. There's no need to be that loud, you should aim to fill the dance floor, no more as the band is not the main attraction, merely a sideshow. There's a lot of people there who haven't seen one another in many years and want to talk.

Therefore, if you can keep stage volume to an absolute minimum and go in the PA, you stand a better chance of getting a good balanced mix at a reasonable volume.

That said, I quite like having a bass amp on stage to hear and feel, so does my drummer. So I use my markbass LMII and single 1x12 cab. This has a built in DI, so I can keep stage volume down and still have a good sound through the PA. Even with great monitoring I would feel uncomfortable going ampless!

Maybe a small amp and DI could be the way forward for the OP. I've been thinking about the Line6 studio 110 or TC BH250 lately as a handy tool for just such occasions and to augment my existing setup for bigger gigs.
  17. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Have you done amp-less gigs before? You're going to want either a very robust monitor or high quality in-ears.

As for a good DI, M80, Tone Hammer, Radial Bassbone, or maybe the VT Deluxe if you want that Ampeg tone.
  18. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I've done ampless (preamp DI -> PA) without decent monitors (or in-ears) a few times and there was enough coming from the mains and subs for me to be happy. Just thought I'd mention it so you know there's no hard and fast rules to playing direct into the PA. If you have a smaller combo amp that you could use simply to hear yourself on stage, you could use that in lieu of PA monitors.

My vote goes to an Eden WTDI. It is cheaper than a lot of DI preamp pedals and has a nice clean Eden sound. Head on over to the WTDI Club/thread to see what people have said about it and how it operates.
  19. blastjv

blastjv Supporting Member

The Bheringer BDI21 is less than $40 used, and gets good reviews. Might be a cheap way to try out the concept and see if it works in your situation.
  20. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

+1
  21. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman

When we do weddings the biggest compliment we get is how we can control our sound. Loud and thumping enough for the dance floor but for others in the hall who want to catch up with relatives and friends, they can still hold conversations.

IMO, I rather have the drunk guy or girl come up to us late in the night to tell us to turn up rather than the bride/groom/father/mother telling us to turn down. Hardest part of weddings? Realizing the band is not the center of attention. Sometime you're musical wallpaper.