1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

DI too hot for a PA input???

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Rockin Mike, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

Can somebody sanity check me on this?

I had a guitar player tell me the direct out of my amp would be too hot for the PA input. He wouldn't even try it, he made me come out of the quarter inch line out and use an XLR adapter.

I didn't tell him he was full of sh*t because I was just subbing and it was his gig.

I was using an Eden WT550, which has a direct out with a level knob, going into his Mackie PPM-1008 PA head. That should be able to go straight into an XLR input on any channel, right?

That's exactly what it's designed to do, right?
  2. Big_Daws

Big_Daws

yes whilst what you are saying is true, i have experienced on some GK heads this problem as well. my fix was to use a DI before the amp. and if it was too hot i would pad it and that would bring everything into order again! :)

i didn't bother to look into as to specifically why cos i fixed my issue, but yes, some bass heads output are excessive, others are not...
  3. Rockin Mike

Dude didn't even try my DI, and it has an output control knob. I run it into my Allen & Heath all the time with no problems at all...

I know plenty of people (all?) go from DI out straight into the board.
    I was just wondering if there was another school of thought that I hadn't heard of.
  4. dalahorse

dalahorse

That's what the trim pot on the mixer is for. Just turn it down. I would understand if it was bottomed out and still too hot. But to not even try?
  5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

I have never had any sound guy complain about the DI out from my amp. Once I was asked to turn the DI down, so I did. End of problem and no drama.

I always run the DI out from my amp to the PA when I am doing sound. I almost never need it, but it is "just in case".
  6. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Direct out with a level control?...no problem. The guitar player in mistaken.
  7. 1954bassman

1954bassman

I seldom use an amp. Always DI'd to the FOH mixer. The girl who used to run sound at my church could never get the gain set without some distortion when I tried to use any type of preamp. I tried Sansamps, Eden, GK, MXR, etc, and always ended up with some distortion in my bass sound. I finally switched to using a Markbass Compressore and a Radial JDI, and she could work with my signal without the clipping.

Your guitar playing friend probably falls into the same category: someone who doesn't understand and has no clue about setting gain structure.
  8. Rockin Mike

Thank you all for confirming.
    I thought I wasn't crazy.

Still it was a fun gig and I'd play with him again. He's a good dude and a heck of a guitar player. Sound man, not so much :)
  9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Two out of three ain't bad ;)
  10. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

Here's where the 'confusion' can happen. In general, if you go to a DI directly from your bass, the sound man can plug that into the XLR(mic) input on the board. If you're coming from a LINE level output from your amp into the board, it should be plugged into the LINE level input of the board(1/4" TRS). If you plug a line level signal into the XLR(mic) input, it will overload and clip the preamp of the mixer. Then, the signal will need to be lowered from the source(aka the level control on your amplifier) or, an external pad will need to be placed ahead of the mic preamp on the mixer. If there is ever any distortion, it is usually because the signal is overloarding the input on the mixer.
  11. Rockin Mike

So, he had it backwards. He insisted I come out of the line level (i.e. the effects send) but I used the instrument level tuner output instead to avoid the clipping you're talking about. The DI would would have been fine also and would have allowed more control over the signal.
  12. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Either what audioglenn said, or your guitarist took the XLR for a speakon.