1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Diago Little Smasher 5W pedal sized amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Jun 17, 2011.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Anyone own or experienced a Smasher?
    Bass-applicable or just another distortion pedal?
  2. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Being in that it is an amplifier, you shouldn't use it as a distortion pedal unless you want to ruin whatever you're plugging it into.
  3. seamonkey

seamonkey

4. optikhog

optikhog

Resurrection!

Just picked up a Little Smasher for my home studio guitar work and figured I'd see how my basses sounded through it. Without a doubt, this thing is voiced for guitar. Feeding my Zoom B3 into the little amp got me closer to bass-type tones but it sounds to me like they put in a high-pass filter of some kind to maximize the 5 watts for the guitar spectrum as the frequencies below ~200Hz do not seem to even exist. This would make sense for its intended purpose but I cannot recommend this little wonder for bass use.

Makes a neat little guitar amp, tho! It does tend to go to grit fairly early on the 'gain' dial, so use judiciously. The gain itself is very Marshall-sounding to my ear and the bass/treble knobs provide huge amounts of boost/cut. I'm using it with my 2X10 custom-built bass cabinet and am pretty pleased with what I can do when the right effects are in front of the amp itself. As stated in various reviews the 5 watts available in the guitar spectrum get quite loud, again most likely due to some clever spectrum filtering.