1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Diago Little Smasher 5W pedal sized amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Jun 17, 2011.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Anyone own or experienced a Smasher?
    Bass-applicable or just another distortion pedal?

2. joshwilkesbooth

joshwilkesbooth

Jul 17, 2009
    Baltimore
    Being in that it is an amplifier, you shouldn't use it as a distortion pedal unless you want to ruin whatever you're plugging it into.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
  5. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Resurrection!

Just picked up a Little Smasher for my home studio guitar work and figured I'd see how my basses sounded through it. Without a doubt, this thing is voiced for guitar. Feeding my Zoom B3 into the little amp got me closer to bass-type tones but it sounds to me like they put in a high-pass filter of some kind to maximize the 5 watts for the guitar spectrum as the frequencies below ~200Hz do not seem to even exist. This would make sense for its intended purpose but I cannot recommend this little wonder for bass use.

Makes a neat little guitar amp, tho! It does tend to go to grit fairly early on the 'gain' dial, so use judiciously. The gain itself is very Marshall-sounding to my ear and the bass/treble knobs provide huge amounts of boost/cut. I'm using it with my 2X10 custom-built bass cabinet and am pretty pleased with what I can do when the right effects are in front of the amp itself. As stated in various reviews the 5 watts available in the guitar spectrum get quite loud, again most likely due to some clever spectrum filtering.