Did any of our TBers see Elvis Presley live?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cronker, Mar 3, 2014.

1. cronker

cronker

Because I have been watching the Hawaii concert on YouTube and think he is a fascinating performer. I can't take my eyes off him, even though I want to watch the band and see what hey are doing.
    I was 7 when he died, so before my time, but I have grown to appreciate a megastar before we had those.

Did any of you see him perform live? Or even perhaps get to play in his group?
    I would love to hear!

2. Whit Townsend

Whit Townsend

My wife saw him 2-3 years before he passed in Atlanta. A friend of her dads gave her a couple of tickets. She said it was a great show but it was weird they were a couple of 18 yr old hippies in jeans and T shirts and the rest of the audience was dressed to the 9s like it was a broadway play or something. She said there were lots of Bras thrown but she didn't cause back then she never wore one. :) A lot different than a Allman Bro or Stones show!

3. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

might consider moving this to
    'Amps...Get off my LAWN! "Grumpy Old Farts"' thread. Bunch of disgruntled "more experienced" folks that were probably middle aged enough during Elvis era to afford tickets. ;)

fnord!

4. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Elvis played at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh on new years eve in 1976. A lot of my family and friends of my family had tickets to go. (I was 17 at the time and was not interested.) I ended up getting booked to play my first new years eve gig for the same night.

So... my family and a lot of their friends either sold or gave away their Elvis tickets and came to see me play instead. An uncle of mine said at the time, "We'll have plenty of chances to see Elvis again, but seeing you play your first new years gig is a one shot deal."

Of course that was the last time that Elvis played in Pittsburgh, he passed away less than nine months later.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the flying monkeys show up Supporting Member

Media:
    HELL YEAH!
    I saw him in Huntsville, AL in 1975 at the Von Braun Center. Full white jumpsuit glory!

Per Wikipedia:
    According to The Von Braun Center website Elvis Presley appeared May 30 through June 1 1975 for an unprecedented five performances. It was the first time Elvis had played that many consecutive performances in a venue outside of Las Vegas or Stateline, Nevada.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Johnny Winter is most definitely not dead.

8. tommy gilstrap

tommy gilstrap Gold Supporting Member

Georgiagoodie, I was at one of those shows in Huntsville. You may remember me, I played bass for the Stamp of Approval and Big Ben Adkins during the '70s heyday of Huntsville nightclubs.