Did Chingy rip off Jaco???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Carver, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Carver

Carver

I was in my car today and I heard a song by Chingy called "Pullin' Me Back." It was obvious that he'd sampled "Portrait of Tracy." Has anyone else heard this?

2. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

The producer might have sampled that one SWV song that was a rewrite of "Portrait of Tracy." In any case, sampling ain't theft as long as the owner of the original recording gets paid.

3. Thurisarz

Thurisarz

Do you know the name of that song? Gotta find my old SWV cd's

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    That wasn't the case with the producer for the SWV track,He was successfully sued by the Pastorius estate for not getting permission to use the track.

the Portrait of Tracy part was the actual song lifted from the original track but mixed very low in the recording,you kind of had to be familiar with the track to recognize that it was portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius lurking in the background.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

+1 What was it? I want to hear it

7. Peter McFerrin

Peter McFerrin

Oh, I didn't know you could even hear the original track in that song. My neighbor in college played the SWV song fairly often but it wasn't at a high enough volume that I could hear something as detailed as bass harmonics.

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player Supporting Member

Rain.

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    the song is called Rain and Jaco now gets co-writer credit and royalties.
    You could heard it and the ability to hear it helped the pastorius estate when their case.

this is from my earlier post.

the Portrait of Tracy part was the actual song lifted from the original track but mixed very low in the recording,you kind of had to be familiar with the track to recognize that it was portrait of Tracy by Jaco Pastorius lurking in the background.

10. PB+J

PB+J

I heard the Chingy cut--it's definitely got "portrait of Tracy" in it, not doubt

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:
    The track in question can be found here

http://myspace.com/chingy

and yes Portrait of Tracy is indeed in the track.

and Pastorius gets co-writers credit.

I was listening to another song by Chingy(with a different title).

12. superbassman2000

superbassman2000

wow...i could hear the rhodes playing it very easy...i was just listening to it on my laptop's speakers, so i couldn't hear jaco's playing

13. narud

narud Supporting Member

i dont see how the original track could be playing in the swv track because its set to a groove. it just sounds like keys playing and vocals singing the melody.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

Have you heard the SWV track?even tho Portrait of Tracy is mixed low in the background it's not mixed so low that one wouldn't be able to reconize the tune,under the keys is where you will find Portrait of Tracy.Again the Pastorius family were able to prove their case.

15. narud

narud Supporting Member

yes ive heard the track and the family could have sued even it they didnt use the original track because they stole the melody without giving writing credit.

16. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

The Melody from Portrait of Tracy in the SWV track was the key element is helping win the lawsuit.

17. Bassic83

Bassic83

I was going to say something really harsh here, but I can't fit my words to what it is I want to say. I can say this- I'm tired of the rap genre ripping other people's work off, and I'm glad Jaco's estate won their suit.

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X

Disclosures:

I agree 1000 %

I have no sympathy at all for artist who outright steal other artist work.What's even more interesting is that a lot of these atrist that take what is not theirs have the money and means to work out a deal with the artist that they take/steal from.

19. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Getting writing credit and royalties may be ok, but what if you flat out just don't want your song being used by someone, do you have the option of telling someone they can't use it?

For instance..If I had written POT, I wouldn't have wanted it to end up in that Chingy song at all, for any amount of money. Can the person wanting to use your song be told "no, you can't use it"?

20. Bassic83

Bassic83

Hey Jauqo, can I use your video as the basis of my new rap song? ;) (where is the "tongue-in-cheek" smilie?)

21. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Yup. If you own the rights to it.