Did Fender ever make it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob S, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Rob S

Rob S

A Jazz in Lake Placid Blue with rosewood fretboard/block inlays/bound neck? Or, drool, a Precision like this?

Would the Custom Shop make a bound 1.75" nut Precision neck with blocks if I wanted?

Thanks to anyone who might have the knowledge and takes the time to answer.

Best,
    Rob

2. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Well, I've got a Fender Custom Shop Jazz in transparent cobalt blue with a bound neck (but of course it has a 1.5" nut), and it has a maple fretboard with black pearl blocks rather than rosewood fretboard. So if they can do that, I am confident they can make what you described. Here are a couple of pics of my Fender CS Jazz (click to enlarge)...

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk Supporting Member

4. iammr2

iammr2

There were some FSR's 10-15 years ago like that. Came in Lake Placid Blue, Candy Apple Red, and White. They had matching headstocks though. I had a CAR one. Played good, sounded good, then neck started going downhill. Don't seem to see them around much.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Presto2112

Presto2112

I saw a 68 in that color, they're VERY rare so be prepared to be spend $10,000 plus. I'm sure you could find a RI though.

7. stacker

stacker

Well, here's one, albeit in Fiesta Red over here in the UK. Nice transitional model with a purportedly original finish. I am also sure I've seen a LPB one somewhere, too.

.66 Jazz

8. SactoBass

9. stacker

stacker

Wait a minute - here you go! Bloody good price, too, although refinished!

'66 LPB

10. SactoBass

Is that the same one posted in post #3 above?

11. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    What you're describing is what Fender offered from 1966-73. Those are the years that you could have gotten that color with that neck. The original vintage basses with that combo are pricey though, like $4-8K depending on year and condition.. and they don't come up often. You have lots of other options though..

I've seen some Japanese Fender LPB '75 reissues (they are 3-bolt though I think). You could also get a jazz body from various suppliers and finish it LPB. And many of those suppliers make that B&B neck in Rosewood too (like Allparts for instance), and in 4-bolt also.

You could also buy a refinished vintage bass with a rosewood B&B neck for a lot cheaper than an all original, and re-refinish it in LPB (or find one already refinished in LPB, but that may be difficult).

Fender never made any regular production Precisions with a B&B neck until recently. One I can think of is the Classic Series '70s P Bass, but it has a maple neck with black binding/blocks.

The Custom Shop might already make model with the features you want, I'm not sure. But you can see what they have on their website. I'm sure they'll do custom orders for anything you want also, if you have the dough.

12. Rob S

Rob S

13. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

If you dont want the big expense of a vintage one; in '02-03 Fender usa made them called the 70's FSR. As mentioned, they had matching headstocks. Beautiful!
    Fender japan made one as well.