Did Fender ever use basswood pre 1990s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

Hey all.

I was wondering if Fender ever used basswood before the 1990s. A while back, I bought a used bass with a 1978 or 1982 neck and a body that has been stripped. The body doesnt have a noticable date stamp or anything and I havent had a chance to check out the pots. The pickup and hardware is old. I was wondering if Fender ever used basswood way back when, as the body does look like basswood. The neck is definitely a Fender Precision from probably 1982, but with a 1978 serial.

edit: I should specify that the hardware looks REALLY old. There are some unoriginal pieces, but the one remaining strap button and the pickup look 70s at least.

Thanks
  2. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

photos

Attached Files:

3. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

more

Attached Files:

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Why do you think this is a Fender body?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

It looks nice, isn't that all that matters?
  7. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

It was sold to me as a Fender by a music shop, but that doesnt mean I believe it. My thread is created in an attempt to ask whether it may be a Fender or not. I am not overly convinced that it is.
  8. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

I think some of the Japanese Fender E-Series basses ('84-'87) were basswood.
  9. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    The Jazz Specials were basswood
  10. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

Ya my power jazz special with an E3 serial number is basswood. Although they were labelled "jazz" basses, they actually had precision bass bodies.
  11. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

My '86 Made in Japan Precision is basswood. My body is stripped (mostly), basswood is ugly (greenish and no grain), dents so easily, and has a very bassy tone.

But it sounds absolutely killer with flats. Acoustically, my bass sounds like an upright while playing the E and A strings higher up the neck.
  12. Lownote38

Lownote38

That looks like alder with a stain applied to me.
  13. Immigrant

Immigrant

Nice whammy bar!
  14. lundborg

lundborg

The bass neck has serial S90***, which indicates 1979, 80 or 81 according to most sources. Most likely 1980. Tuners and string tree seem original, and the neck plate too.
    So far so good.

But the body is a bit oddly shaped, especially around the neck pocket. I wouldn't be
    surprised if you would find an extra set of screw holes on the neck heel. A standard
    issue Precision at this time should also have screw holes for the ashtray bridge cover,
    which are missing on yours.

Pickguard is one ply, not normal. Neither the bridge or volume/tone knobs.

I think what you have is a 1980 Precision neck on an aftermarket body, with
    aftermarket hardware. With the pickguard removed, it would probably be apparent.

Pickup could be original, but you need to look for timestamp on the underside.
  15. Figjam

Figjam Supporting Member

thanks for the help. I agree with many points raised. I dont think the grain looks like alder though.

The hardware is certainly aftermarket on the body, and the neckplate does seem original.

I see that there are screw holes for a pickup cover but no bridge cover, so that seems strange.

I think its probably not a fender body. Someone probably used a random body as a project to put the kahler on. I really love the way the body looks, feels, and resonates. I love this bass, just looking for more info on it.

I have the neck on a different body at this time (the photos are old). The neck is now on a walnut stain squier precision special, with dimarzio pj's installed (creme and white covers). Gotoh gold bridge.

The body shown here has a 1995 mim precision neck (rosewood) on it now. The neck has nice wear on it and matches the condition of the body nicely, which has aged since the photos (lots of pick marks and some wear through the stain).

The pickup is slightly microphonic with high gain; something I may have addressed at some point.

Cheers