Did Fender up the price of all their models?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jazzonlyjazz, Feb 20, 2014.

1. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I went onto my local music store's website and saw that the Fender Standard Jazz Bass' price was increased by at least $100, same with their precision basses, strats, teles, etc....

Why???
  2. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Regenerate Guitar Works
    Cause things cost more to make today than yesterday. Generally speaking.
  3. garp

garp

Could also be that your local music store decided to increase its profit margin. If they operate a brick-and-mortar establishment, I wouldn’t begrudge them in the slightest. In fact, I buy all of my Fenders at a local mom-and-pop retailer rather than online, regardless of price differentials — helps to keep the store in business.
  4. Hank Scorpio

Hank Scorpio

Most Fenders seem to have gone up online here. Happens fairly regularly I suppose. Think the MIM Ps were £483, now £501.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Geri O

Geri O

Most everyone that's going to increases prices around the first of the year.
  7. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Because taxes, insurance, and employee wages go up every year.
  8. Pearly Gator

Pearly Gator

9. Immigrant

Immigrant

I noticed Fender pricing jumped about a year ago also. Maybe you're referring to the same jump, I dunno.

But, the Geddy Lee Jazz dropped $100 when production moved to Mexico from Japan. I don't knowif it is still below tha $999 street price that it was priced at for the last year or so of final production in Japan. I purchased one at GC in 2008 for $749, and store price was $799.

I remember $.29 per gallon gas and $.43 per pack cigs. Prices change, hardly ever for the better.
  10. Bassman Ski

Bassman Ski Supporting Member

This man speaks the truth. Even in our industry (Appliance repair) many dealers went up. Some as much as 25%.
  11. Handyman

Handyman

Looks like MAP for an AM Std Precision is now $1300, and the Jazz is $1350.
  12. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I'm glad you're doing it but I prefer to keep money in "my" pocket store operators have no problem buying an item for two dollars and selling it for twenty. I remember feeling that way at one time until I saw one of the owners of a mom and pop store driving a better car than me and that was the end of that.
  13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

"Buying an item for $2 and selling it for $20"?? In the music retail business? Where would that happen??

Try running your own business one day. And when you lose sleep at night staring at the ceiling wondering how you're going to meet payroll and pay the rent, tell me all about how you don't deserve a decent car.
  14. wideload

wideload

15. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

16. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

The dollar has lost about 50% of its value since the 90s. That's what happens when you fight wars without paying for them, print money you don't have, and nearly double minimum wage.
  17. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Yeah I'm not paying 55$ for a set of Daddario nickels....sorry local shops.
  18. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

Yes I noticed this too.
  19. Larry Mal

Larry Mal

The minimum wage was $5.15 for the years 1997 and 2007, since then going to 7.25 over the course of years.

"The value of the minimum wage has fallen sharply over the past forty years. In 1968, for example, the federal minimum wage was $1.60 per hour, which translates to approximately $10.70 in 2013 dollars.
    "
  20. MF1018

MF1018

Pretty much everybody has a better car than me, so I can't use that as my litmus test.
  21. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I feel like I didn't get a solid answer to my question....