Did I mess up my Pbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twc1313, Nov 5, 2013.

1. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

I have a MIM 2012 Fender P, when I bought it I added some mods to it to make it mainly a modern rock bass. I added a Gotoh High-Mass bridge and SD Quarter Pound Pups. Now however, I put some chromes on it and want to get that more traditional sound out of my p. I have read that the qp's are scooped and i'm loosing the mids magic that makes the p cut so well in a band setting. To go with my flats, should I put the original bridge and MIM pups in it? Any other suggestions?
  2. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Try it. If it doesn't sound right, go back to the original pup ?
  3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

The Gotoh bridge is fine. The QP pickups are more aggressive and scooped in the mids. Do some experimenting with your amp's EQ settings to get a tone you like. I have a P/J with QPs and Chromes and I have no problem getting a nice warm round P sound that thumps.
  4. David Jayne

David Jayne

Stick those chromes on and roll the tone back on your bass and you'll be in Fat City.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Change the pups, probably. Bridge wouldn't do any massive difference to the tone.
  7. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    This may sound crazy, but maybe try changing your pots. Try something in the 500k range. You might find some of those mids coming back, and make sure you run full vol out.

I've recently changed out a gotoh high mass for a bent tin and I can find no apprecibale difference.
  8. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

So I'll keep the bridge for sure because either way it doesn't seem to do crap.

The big argument now is

qp with amp adjusting and eq'ing vs the MIM stock pick up

Don't have money for an original '62 yet
  9. PJRL

PJRL

A classic P sound is...... stamped (stock) bridge, Maybe a Duncan SPB-1 or Fender AV 62P-up.
    Also......Funny thing about chromes, They aren't really a classic flat wound, to me they seem more modern sounding with less mids or maybe a bit of mid scoup.
  10. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

Swap the P-up back. I run a QP with flats and it's too bassey. I went back to rounds.
  11. C130AVN

C130AVN Stringed Tubist Supporting Member

I would forget the stock MIM pickup, if you still want P bass tone growl with rock kick throw in a Dimarzio Model P. I use one with Labella flats and it sounds great, roll off the tone and it's Motown time.
  12. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would get rid of the QP regardless of what strings you use, but that's just me. Try it and see if you like it, if not sell it. I would replace it with a Fender 62 or Duncan SPB-1 instead of going back to the stocker.
  13. deathsdj

deathsdj Supporting Member

I love the QP. Love it. It just needed a slight EQ tweak and it's a P bass rockstar.

Cheers!

MJW
  14. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

The Fender original P pup with a mid heavy flat like a TI sounds pretty awesome if you are hunting for that particular sound.

Having said that, I have two P basses, the other is setup with more balanced strings and pups for when I need something not so mid heavy
  15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

The lower you keep the Quarter Pounder the more vintage it will sound.

I never found the QP to be "scooped". It is hot though.
  16. kurosawa

kurosawa Supporting Member

Easy to overdo things, especially with magnets. My favorite P rock pickup is Fralin 5% overwound.
  17. bh2

bh2

My stock P pup is so nice sounding... it's a 2002 model though, not sure of the differences, if any?
  18. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Forget about what you read and listen to your bass. I have a bass with quarter pounders and it kills.
  19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

+1

True dat.
    Original bridge, Fender AV or CS pups, and Fender or LaBella flats.
    But notes, articulation, and feel matter more than tone, imho. :eyebrow:
  20. gillento

gillento

Try the cheap Fender flats, the deliver way more organic mids than Chromes
  21. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

I also strongly disagree with removing the pickups. I have been using the QP exclusively on my P-bass and it has been ridiculously versatile, even with flats. Truth is that I prefer rotosound flats which are quite bright compared to others but I would suggest giving it go with them.

If you are not happy with the results, here is something else you can try. Get a second pickguard and install the electronics on it and just swap the pickguard every time you feel like going back to the stock pickups. This way you won't have to solder every time.:hyper:

Here is how the QP sounds with the roto flats on my bass:

Some said this would not be bright enough, well just proven wrong...