Did I start too late?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dlargent, Feb 13, 2014.

1. dlargent

dlargent

Hey,

I'm a bass player, but this post mostly has to do with my change of instruments to the jazz organ.

I've been in love with jazz organ for years, and finally in 2009 decided to take the plunge and buy an organ. When my family moved from NYC to NC in 2010, I decided to all but abandon the bass and pursue organ full-time.

My long-term goal is essentially to be among the best organists in the world. Having a kid only allows me 3-4 hours to practice daily, but I try to apply that practice time in the wisest possible ways, and I have a great instructor.

My problem is that I have a nagging feeling that because I waited until age 36 to get started, I might be too far behind the game to really reach my goal. (I did take classical piano lessons from 2nd grade to 8th grade, but practiced as little as possible.)

I'm now 41, have my own trio, and play 3-4 gigs per week. I'd just like to clear away this mental baggage!

Thanks!
  2. MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Good for you!
  3. bassdog

bassdog

Jeeze. Just pursue it and be the best you can be. Done.
  4. elgecko

elgecko

Apparently not.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Space Pickle

Space Pickle

I was going to chime in and say it's never too late to learn music (because it isn't) but with 3-4 gigs a week and 3-4 hours of practice a day you're probably doing better than like 90% of talkbass.
  7. dlargent

dlargent

Point taken. Thanks!
  8. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Think another 20 years will do it? Take care of yourself and maybe you'll have another 40 years left to develop…
    But, I bet you'll have become bored with organ by then and come back home to the bass :cool:

fnord!
  9. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Also, who ever heard of talk organ? hmm, probably a pay site.
    fnord!
  10. deeptubes

deeptubes

It's only too late when you're in the ground.
  11. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!! Supporting Member

Words to live by! As long as you have a pulse, you have the ability to learn/do something new.
  12. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

36??? Sheesh , musically , yer a dinosaur. Probably getting forgetfull and physically debilatated. Heck , half the people I know died by that age. There's no possibility......... Oh wait. I'm 61 . I just got back to playing bass about ten years ago (do the math) . I have some back trouble. I'm lucky if I get to practice 3 hours a week! Never mind. Carry on.:bag:
  13. dalkowski

dalkowski

Nut up, kick the baggage to the curb and chase the dream. With 3-4 gigs a week, it sounds to me like you're living the dream. Good job!

Yours etc.,
    Joey DiFrancesco
  14. ZenG

ZenG

"best organist in the world" as defined by..........what?

Best technical player?

Best technical player in a certain genre?

Best as in sold most records?

Best as in sold most records in a certain genre?

Classical music is technically better than rock, for example, but overall I think rock outsells classical by a mile....

Anyhow........cream always rises to the top.......if it's in you to be at the top of the ladder.....you'll probably get there........:)

A good dose of talent/passion....a good dose of work ethic.....a good dose of "stick-to-it-iveness'

and.......a good dose of the right BREAKS....and... LUCK.

Paul Newman once said that LUCK is important.

By that he meant that there's thousands of talented artists out there.......that if they'd had the right breaks and the right luck would have been stars.........

But as the Spinners said "it takes a fool to learn that love don't love nobody".....and neither does "Luck".
    So you have to create every opportunity for Luck to pick you out of the crowd........don't wait for it to come knocking on your door..........:)

I sincerely wish you the best in your journey........