1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Did I wire my 810 Correctly?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fettbass, Oct 5, 2013.

1. fettbass

fettbass Supporting Member

I recently noticed the top left driver in my traynor tc810 was blown, so set out to replace it with an OEM driver. Here's a picture of the replaced speaker in place

[​IMG]]

Now I'm wondering if I wired it up correctly, here's a pic of the wiring from the adjacent speaker, and the rest of the cab. The Colours in the diagram are the same as the colour of wire in the cab, with red going to positive and black going to negative.

[​IMG]

Someone with some knowledge please weigh in, it's driving me crazy!
  2. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Do 'the battery test'

If the cone moves in phase with the others, you at least know the plus and minus are compatible.

For a R&R, assuming the new speaker has identical impedance as the one it replaced, the rest of the wiring can be assumed to be correct... It would be nice if there were universally accepted standards for + and -, but it's still best to test...
  3. fettbass

I'm assuming red is positive as the red wire is coming from the positive terminal on the adjacent speaker, which was wired from the factory.
  4. ArtechnikA

What you cannot assume is that every speaker has the same meaning of positive.
    Does positive mean the cone moves in, or out?
    Best to verify - it's quick.
  5. fettbass

How do i do the battery test?
  6. ArtechnikA

plug a cable into the cabinet.
    one with a 1/4" phone plug exposed.
    an instrument cable is fine - there is not much power involved.

While watching the cones, touch the terminals of a 9V battery to the tip and sleeve of the phone plug. (one terminal to tip, the other to sleeve.)

If all the cones move in the same direction, ta da - done.
    if any move 'in' while the rest move 'out' - they are wired backwards from the rest.

You have only the one that's really in question...
  7. fettbass

They all move in the same direction. Awesome! Thanks so much. 😃