1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Did my preamp die or is it a wiring issue?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bongostealth, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

Here's what happened: I installed a brand new Seymour Duncan STC-3A preamp into my bass and had it in there for a week. The installation was quick and easy with no issues. It worked just fine. Saturday I removed it in order to try a different preamp. The new preamp will not fit in the preamp cavity so I removed it and re-installed the Seymour Duncan. I installed it just as I did the first time (as directed in the instructions).

However, I noticed that the volume would have to be turned up at least a quarter of the way in order to get a volume. I opened the cavity and checked the wiring and everything was fine. Then, I noticed that the volume pot worked normally but I was getting a distorted signal. I rechecked everything. Then after that, I had no signal whatsoever. I replaced the battery with a new one... same thing. I soldered the input wires to a stereo jack to make sure my barrel jack didn't die on me... same thing... no signal.

Any thoughts as to what it could be?
  2. JustForSport

JustForSport

Could be a 'cold' solder joint, or one just barely hanging on-
    re-check it all with magnifying glass.
  3. bongostealth

bongostealth Supporting Member

I checked all of my connections and they seemed fine. I will recheck.
  4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Also, check battery wires in battery plug...
    Using a jumper wire (with alligator clips on both ends), try jumping from a pot ground (or another) to jack, or to battery ground,
    then from bal or vol pot signal connection (if passive pickups) to jack tip.
    Idea is to bypass soldering or wire connections to isolate problem.
    Good luck.