1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Did out mod your Fender jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Green Lantern, Dec 25, 2012.

?

Did you update your jazz bass and if so why?

1. Keep stock

2 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Update pickups

6 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Add active electronics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Update pick ups and active electronics

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern

2. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

3. GigJones

GigJones

I’ve got a passive Classic 70’s Jazz bass that I swapped out the stock pickups for a pair of Nordstrand split-coil vintage pickups.

I love the way the bass plays but the stock pickups were too thin and brittle sounding for my taste.
    The Nordstrands have a very unique tone with lots of growl.
  4. SlingBass4

SlingBass4 Supporting Member

A better question (to me) would be: When didn't you update your Fender Jazz, Precision, etc. Always adding or subtracting pieces parts...but never adding active electronics. I did try a varitone mod - it's for sale. Everything else possible has been fooled with at one time or another ;)
  5. kreider204

kreider204 Supporting Member

I updated the stock pups to Dimarzio noiseless (Model J) ones. The stock sounded fine, I just don't like that single-coil hum.