Did Rutherford use flats with Gabriel Era Genesis?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

I've been listening to lots of classic Genesis songs. I always loved Mike's melodic bass lines. It sounds like he used flats. Does anyone know?
  2. DrJimmy

DrJimmy

I'm pretty sure he was a rounds guy. He got a very Chris Squirey tone on Selling England by the Pound
  3. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

I've watched that video they put together for Belgian TV early in their career where they are playing in a wee soundstage. It sounds a lot like flats on that gig at least. Rutherford is using his RM1999 with the weird replacement knobs for a lot of the show.

I'm loathed to admit it, but Rutherford's tone does nothing to me, compared to his peers Wetton, Squier and Schulman.
  4. nysbob

nysbob

He was playing rounds when I saw him on their early US tours.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

No way you could get that sound with flats. It's bright, clangy roundwounds.
  7. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

How early on in the career were they touring the US? Was he still using his 4001/1999RM?
  8. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Their first concerts in the US were for Foxtrot in 1972, they didn't do a major tour of the US until the Selling England tour in 1973-74, that would be the last tour that Rutherford was using the double-neck Ric.
  9. nysbob

nysbob

I saw them a couple times in '73 - the first time was at the Columbus Agora - it was a $5 ticket and there were maybe 250 people there. He was definitely playing the doubleneck rick and it definitely one hell of a show. :cool:
  10. johanniemann

johanniemann

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Yamaha Basses, EBS Amps and Pedals
    I have no idea but it sure sounds like it in certain places. Very overlooked guy, but I love him. Great tone, great playing - what's not to like? :)
  11. woodyng

woodyng

Quite a few years ago,there was an auction on ebay of a large collection of Rutherford's unused Rotosound bass strings from Genesis tours,and the selection included Swing,Jazz,and tapewound strings. (Swing is RW,Jazz is flatwound.)
    Most of the Genesis lps sound like flatwounds to me,except for "SellinG England",and some parts of "lamb".
  12. Kink Rimson

Kink Rimson

Nursery Cryme sounds like flats to me, but Foxtrot onwards definitely has that metallic, clanky thing going on.
  13. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Um, well, he's not the handsomest guy in the world...or even in the band.

:bag:
  14. PhR

PhR

I recall reading that the 6-string Micro-Frets bass had flats on it when some people got the opportunity to visit The Farm and see some old Genesis equipment. He used that bass on "The Lamb" and "A Trick Of The Tail". It was combined with a 12-string Ric for another doubleneck.

"Selling England" and "Foxtrot" sound like roundwounds to me and also "Live" where he still was using the RM1999.

BTW, 'though the rest of "Selling England" sound like the classic Ric-O-Sound enhanced 4001, "I Know What I Like" sounds different. Maybe it was his old P-bass which can be seen on "A Trick Of The Tail" promo video.