1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Did somebody try a split P bass pickup not RW/RP on the second coil

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by uOpt, Jan 28, 2014.

1. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

The thing over at seymourduncan forum is bashing of Strat pickups with RW/RP pickup in the middle.

Makes me think - did anybody try the split style P bass pickup design with same-polarity magnets?

Of course you lose hum canceling. I expect that a good part of the growl goes down the drain in exchange for clarity or even fullness.
  2. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

I'm not sure what people are saying over there lately; I haven't looked at that forum in a long time. But for years, some people have have been saying that you get better "quack" in positions 2 and 4 on a strat if you have a non-RW/RP pickup in the middle. I've tried it both ways: RW/RP, and non, and I never noticed any appreciable difference. Except for more hum with a non-RW/RP pickup.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with P-bass pickups, but it might make a for a fun experiment (and, no doubt, a long contentious thread here).
  3. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

Well, the magnetic field will obviously have a different shape if the second half has the same pole up. And the A and D string in particular will be "seen" by the "wrong" coil as it is now. This is much more likely to be audible that the Strat thing.

It just occurred to me that I have two identical SPB-1 pairs, I could actually give it a shot easily.
  4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Hmm. That sounds interesting. If you give that a try, I'd like to hear what you discover. I'm guessing something like a massively fat single coil.
  5. RobbieK

RobbieK

Over the years I've had several P's come through with both coils the same mag polarity. This is mostly because until about 10-15 years ago, 70's and 80's P's were worth pretty much nothing, a few hundred at best. And when one coil went short (as they often do with old fenders) secondhand music store owners would just open their draw full of old fender pickups (these were worth even less than the basses - everyone had swapped them out for dimarzios, EMGs, etc etc) and grabbed any old P bass coil, black or grey and thrown it in.

TBH, I can't remember really hearing a difference, except for the hum of course, which is a lot worse for two coils in series than in parallel.

But you can easily try it yourself. All you need to do is flip the bobbin in its cover, then swap the wires.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

yep, you're not gonna get a big tonal difference one way or the other; heck, if you flipped the coil over and didn't flip the wires, you'd probably still not get a big sound difference, since each coil only gets its own strings.

i imagine that i can hear a slight difference with non-RWRP strat pickups, but i tend to assume that anything i didn't notice hearing until i read that i should hear it is probably just placebo, or at least subtle enough to be irrelevant to real-world playing.

(there is a little science involved though, scott from zexcoil pickups has posted over on TGP how there is a measurable difference in inductance when two adjacent strat coils are the same polarity vs. when they're RWRP, i suppose from their magnetic fields affecting each other. by themselves the RWRP coils sound the same, it's just that they might combine slightly differently.)