Did Verdine White really play on those great recordings?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gimmeagig, Dec 18, 2013.

1. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Even to this day I love the recordings of Earth Wind and Fire. The were one of the reasons why I am a bass player today.
    I have been trying to find live concert footage of EWF on youtube and every time I watch one of those clips I'm asking myself: "What the hell is Verdine doing?"
    I know McEnroe is not the same player as he used to be and Franz Klammer doesn't hammer down the steeps like he did when he was younger, but I'm sure they still are older versions of their former selves.
    But when I watch Verdine play now (there are also some clips with him trying out basses in stores) I wonder if he ever knew how to play. His playing isn't remotely similar to anything that was on those early EWF recordings. Whoever recorded Shining Star or Serpentine Fire had chops feel and imagination.Never in a million years would I think Verdine could ever have come up with these brilliant basslines when I listen to how he sounds now.
    Are there any live youtube clips where he actually plays the bass and sound good? I'd love to have that, because it is so painful to see him now.
  2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Indeed he did. For a number of years now EWF has been using tracks, so when they are playing shows it's more "Showtime" and less "Playtime".
    Here's a clip from Bass Player Live 2011.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Supporting Member

There has been a lot of discussion about Verdine's playing and EWF's use of tracks.
  4. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Well the Larry Graham thing was just plain awful and the Midnight special was back in the stone ages but granted Verdine was actually playing on that one. And sounding pretty good too.
    Here's the Al McKay Band and this is what happens when the bass player isn't trying to be a ballet dancer.
    Simple tune, nothing that an old guy couldn't pull off, great feel and the band is locking....love that!

The Chicago bassist plays his ass off and he's a great singer on top of that.I wonder if Verdine got a little kick in the butt from that and stepped up his game. Whatever it was, it worked.
    If there is anything on that level or better from EWF on youtube please post a link.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dr. Cheese

That Chicago/EWF clip is nice!
  7. Alex J

Alex J Supporting Member

8. Dmwphoto

Dmwphoto what does this light/\ do? Supporting Member

Some really good links in this thread!
  9. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Those two brass sections tore it up!
  10. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Enough of this BS already!
  11. frisbieinstein

frisbieinstein

I saw EWF live in 1973 or so and the band was great.
  12. pfox14

pfox14

Shining Star is probably my favorite funk bass line ever.
  13. madmic

madmic

The answer is : Yes, back then, now and forever.

I wish there was a way to stop this BS.

I know, make me a moderator.
  14. avvie

avvie

Well, for starters, Verdine could just stop sounding like doggie poo when not on those records.

Next he could quit trying to dance and concentrate on playing the lines he allegedly wrote.

After this long he would sound better, not worse. That's the way it works for EVERYBODY ELSE. Everybody.

What the defenders are saying is that a black man from one of the greatest funk bands of all time should be excused for not having a sense of rhythm because he's older...despite the fact that he's still performing.

Can you see how that makes much less sense than the conspiracy theory in question?
  15. avvie

avvie

I mean, you go to the links above, and yeah, he's playing in them...and they sound like bad cover band versions. After this long he should be able to dance around all he wants and be able to play this stuff without thinking about it at all. If it's not lip-syncing it's just plain lazy.
  16. Dr. Cheese

Who said give him a break because he is old and black?
  17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

First off, the vast majority of people that attend EWF concerts are grandmothers who thought they bought tickets to Blood, Sweat and Tears. Not bass fappists critiquing every last detail of Verdines act. They dance like that because the people who go to those shows are there for more than a nasaly, slap fueled masturbatory show of musicianship...they are paying to see a "performance" with all of the "fireworks" they entail.

Secondly, Verdine White looks like someone's grandma.

What were we talking about again?
  18. avvie

avvie

Nobody. They said give him a break because he's old.
  19. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

So what does the fact that he's black have to do with anything?
  20. avvie

avvie

Because he's a funk bassist. Haven't you ever seen the South Park episode?....

:D
  21. rupture

rupture Supporting Member

Starting to sound like the Steve Harris thread. Maybe they should merge the two