1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Did you hate P necks but change your mind?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Monster Truck, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Monster Truck

Monster Truck but some people call me Kenny Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    My first bass was a MIM Fender P. I hated the big chunky neck on it so I swapped it out with a Jazz neck. Shortly afterwards I discovered short scales, and have mostly been playing short and medium scales since.

I was at a jam a couple weeks ago and decided to bring the Frankenbass and after a few minutes it felt pretty good. I've been playing it a lot lately, but I'm starting to wish the neck was thicker. I'm pretty surprised by this because I've been avoiding P necks like the plague, and have declared my hate for them several times here on TB. I guess I'm ready to try a P neck again.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and how did it work out for you?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Specify year: The original P necks were *wide* - 1.75, the same width as many 5 stings. Is THAT the neck profile you are referring to?

As for more modern Fender P neck profiles, they seem very nice. 1 & 5/8, I believe. A perfect compromise, I think. My Lakland 4-94 neck is 1.6 inches at the nut and it seems just about perfect for all styles of playing, but a J, at 1.5 seems a bit too snug.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Monster Truck

Monster Truck but some people call me Kenny Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    It was a 2001 MIM, I believe the nut width was 1 5/8"

5. I started playing on a borrowed Fender P in the late 60s, but soon switched to a Fender J, which I bought from my brother. I've played the Fender J exclusively, until about a year ago, when I bought my first Fender P. I always enjoyed the super thin neck on my J, but now that I am older and have arthritic symptoms, I find that the P is easier on my hands.

6. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I've always loved pbass necks. Just a good chunky piece of wood that for me was fast to play. I disliked jazz necks cause they were slim, but i fell in love with them afterwards. My friend's 1994 70's RI JAzz bass has a nice slim neck that feels great all round to play.

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Disclosures:
    GreenBoy fEARful kool-aid dispensing, AFM 72-147 union card-carrying, liberal, academic, musician
    Hated the first Fender P I played back in 1964. By 1967, I had adapted because I wanted the tone, and had started upright so ANY electric felt tiny.

8. inthevelvet

inthevelvet Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2012
    AZ
    I keep trying to like P necks, but just can't seem to. I think it's the string spacing more than anything.

9. SteveC

SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I used to avoid Precision basses because of the neck. I kind of like them now. I play a 5 and 6 string right now so a "fat" 4 string neck is pretty manageable.

10. Most of my P-bass experience was with the big 1.75" nut width, which I wasn't a fan of, but the newer modern 1.625" necks are great. I think that little extra girth makes it feel "right" as a P-bass and distinct from a Jazz.

11. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I hated P Bass necks when I first played one, and still do....maybe I need another 40 years to learn to like them.

12. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    I used to not be a big fan until I played a fretless one, now I'm hooked!

13. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Most P necks have been 1 and 5/8" since...the late '60s, I think? I've never understood why that feels like such a big difference from 1.5" for some players, but different strokes and all.

14. Yeah definitely. Started off playing Ibanez SR's and Fender Jazz's because I couldn't stand thick necks. My curiosity got the better of me over time and I started dabbling in Stingrays and P-basses. While I don't own a P-bass, I do own a Stingray which has one of the chunkiest necks out there. Will be getting a VM P-bass in time and offloading the Jazz.

15. garak7

garak7 Irritating the Neighbors Since 1964 Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    I got lucky. I grew up liking either P or J of any width. 5ers feel comfortable as well. Not sure about those 11 string monsters, though. I suppose if I had one in my possession long enough....

16. slipitin

slipitin

Jul 26, 2002
    London
    1.625 c shape with a 9.5 radius fretboard is perfect for me...I just bought a fretlless jazz because I couldn't afford the ridiculously priced Tony Franklin fretlless p and I'm already yearning for the more substantial feel of a p neck because jazz necks are HORRIBLE and feel too toyish.

17. ROOTSnFIFTHS

ROOTSnFIFTHS Low-end Lover since '78!

Oct 25, 2012
    NJ to Sin City
    I think the bigger 'jump' in size is from 1.5 to 1.75. Add some front to back thickness and someone used to a standard Jazz will feel the difference.

I always played Jazz sized necks (except for a 72 P I used in the early 80s and hated) but I really want that Precision tone. So I now have an 1.65" P and a 1.75". As you say that 1.65" is not much bigger and does feel pretty good (..says the Jazz Bass player!...). My problem is I like the tone much better on my 1.75" P (Classic series,Road Worn etc). I might change out to a smaller size but fear it would change the tone.

18. Radio Face

Radio Face

May 2, 2013
    I have 3 Js and 3 Ps and switch from one to another with no problems at all.

19. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2010
    I like an aircraft carrier deck with the hull to match. A 1.75 width is great, but P necks are road kill Fender flat relative to my ideal. But, I'm happy playing mine anyway. It is a wide one. I am also happy playing a Ric, a short scale Gibson, and upright, and a Thunderbird. It doesn't seem to matter that much.

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Likewise I've never understood those who think there's such a big difference between a 34" and 35" scale. I've played (and owned both) and couldn't tell the difference.

21. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    Won't say I hated them, but I prefer Jazz necks. Not enough to swap out the necks on my Precisions with Jazz necks, though. I find you can get used to anything.