1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Did you keep your first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by balton4, Jun 29, 2012.

1. balton4

balton4

So... I finally upgraded from my silvertone bass to a MUCH better Epiphone Thunderbird. No regrets there, but i am also a up and coming guitarist :bag: and i want to upgrade from my first act electric guitar. Needless to say, i need cash to fund this project. Here i was thinking to myself, "Would i really miss that old bass? I don't touch it anymore." Did any of you sell your first bass? Heres the link to the bass. I know if i sell it i wouldn't get much, but its cash towards a new guitar. Should i just keep it for sentimental reasons, or even for a backup at gigs (which i have been doing more frequently now)? Thanks for any advice with this beginner.

http://www.amazon.com/Silvertone-Gu...r=1-2&keywords=silvertone bass guitar package

2. alxi

alxi

I did sold my first bass. A five string Yamaha BB
    I hold on to it for a while but in the end it was just getting no use.
    I sold four other basses since then.
    I'm down to two and i'm thinking about keeping just one. A Yamaha BB 424x

I personally don't hold on to thing that don't get any use.
    YMMV

3. balton4

balton4

Thats what I'm thinking. My friend has that same take on instruments. Although, i got this bass last year for a christmas present, and i am not sure if my dad would appreciate me selling the gift that meant so much to me. :meh:

4. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

I sure did. 1983 Fender P bass. Black, rosewood neck, black pickguard and a badass bridge. I havn't played it since 2001.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kimmyt

kimmyt Supporting Member

Sadly I did about 12 years ago, it was a 72' Fender Precision, natural white pickguard. It was in awesome shape as was the case it sat for some 20 years. I would pick it up once in a while but was too busy raising kids. My kids got into music I let one of my sons use it then I got the bug again. Took it back with the original receipt to Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA and believe it or not the guy/owner that sold it to me was still there and he was all excited that this thing was bought in their store some 30 years ago. Well he gave me $1100.00 which might have been ok at the time I bought a Fretless Jazz MIJ and an Acoustic Fender both long gone now. When I think about it I am sad, don't even have pictures of it. Let's see I have bought 9 basses since then still have 4 of them, guess it's ok having fun playing on a regular basis now.

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I started on guitar, and I will never sell my first guitar. I open it up and look at it every now and then, but I haven't legitimately played it in probably at least 10 years. I don't even have readily available access to it, it's just sitting in storage. One day, when I get my own personal music room it will be hung on the wall with pride.

I still have my first bass as well, and I doubt I'll sell that. Although it doesn't hold a candle to the sentimental value of my first guitar.

8. Wallace320

Wallace320

Current Setup:

Yamaha Attitude Limited II lava red
    Yamaha Attitude Limited II all black
    Ibanez Doug Wimbish Bass1 Prestige
    Fender '10 AmericanStandardJazz
    Fender BT dual splitcoil WCP Jazz
    Fender Reggie Hamilton 3TS Jazz
    Ken Smith Design '60s Proto Jazz
    Eko Florence Acoustic
    Yamaha Attitude DiMarzio "Will Power"
    Yamaha RBX 350 Hipshot GB7 "Gotoh"
    Yamaha BBN #5
    Fender Modern Player Jaguar Special
    Fender Precision jr. DiMarzio "Model1"
    Squier Praha/Bartolini UpGraded Jazz
    Squier Bartolini/SeymourDuncan Jazz

Previously owned gear:

Ibanez Iceman ICB200
    Ibanez Soundgear SR 405
    Ibanez Soundgear SR 500M
    Ibanez Soundgear SR 700AM
    Ibanez Soundgear SR1200E Premium
    Ibanez Soundgear SR4500E Prestige
    Ibanez SRX 360
    Ibanez SRX 725
    Ibanez BTB 780
    Yamaha RBX775
    Yamaha RBXJM2
    Yamaha TRB1005
    Yamaha BB 714 Billy Sheehan lava red
    Yamaha BB 714 Billy Sheehan all black
    Yamaha BB 414 w/DiMarzio & Hipshot
    Yamaha BB 415
    Clover Apéiron HJ5
    Cort GB74
    ESP Surveyor Ebony
    Ken Smith Design '70s Proto Jazz
    Lakland Skyline 4401
    Squier Classic Vibe '60s Precision
    Fender Reggie Hamilton Jazz
    Fender Frank Bello Jazz
    Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
    Fender Mike Dirnt Precision
    Fender Precision
    Fender Classic '57 Precision
    Fender Classic '59 Precision
    Fender Roger Waters Precision

No doubt it's gonna be there forever:
    I'm just an amateur player (as I was an amateur sportsman), but in both, superstition is quite ubiquitous

"never sell your very first instrument, keep it, maintain it, upgrade it but: never sell it"

For what? Generally, they tend to be poor quality (or poor resale value) yet whole lotta remembrances... So why sell'em?

Cheers,
    Wallace

9. balton4

balton4

Yeah, i think that the music store that i was gonna sell it to would give me something like 50 bucks for it ( seen the exact same bass for 100 bucks there). Im not too sure, i mean, its money towards a guitar, but its not too much. I could easily make that with odd jobs (as i am a broke teenager whose summer schedule will not let me hold a steady job)

10. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle Supporting Member

If your first bass was a " better" bass then I'd say keep it, but since it's been replaced by something much better I'd sell it and buy your guitar with the money.

11. PJMiDi

PJMiDi

Im sentimental, I still own mine. I mod it to hell and back but I will never sell it

12. Buslady7803

Buslady7803

technically no, it was a POS messed up brand new Ibanez...got my $ back, got my Warwick.

13. josiah goldfish

josiah goldfish

If you're not sure then don't do it. You will probably regret it (there's so many stories of people who miss their's on here). I love my bass, it has memories in it.

If you only get $50 for it, what's the point? You can't buy it back, and if you wait a bit longer you'll get that much money anyway.

In short, don't put yourself through it

14. droppedurpocket

droppedurpocket

I started off with a cheap washburn P. I kept it and decided to refinish it. New paint new neck from rondo music and threw in some Duncan quarter pounders.

15. Muttleybass

Muttleybass

My first one was a cheap National BC Rich copy. No regrets selling that for the fluorescent yellow Daion... except that was light and cheap and fell apart on stage, so no regrets on selling that. I bought a Pheonix Phantom, which was an AMAZING Precision copy. THAT I do regret selling, Bought my 4003 Ric, totally regret selling that. No regrets selling few others that I didn't really care for. A few I regret not buying when I had the chance.

Refuse to sell my Steinberger, and I'm pretty happy with my Sterling.

16. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

I just reoiled the fretboard and started playing it again. And tonight I start redrawing the wiring to make a Super Sheehan out of it. :D

17. mambo4

mambo4

nope. I lost interest in bass at 16, lent it to a HS friend and never saw it again.
    Started up again at 18 and never looked back.

I don't miss my first bass. but I sure do miss my first amp: ampeg tube head with glowing exposed tubes...

18. Flabass

Flabass

Didn't keep my Greco Beatle Bass copy. Needed the money after I bought my new 1973 Jazz 3tb with maple board and black blocks. The Greco was beautiful but I wanted to have a USA bass. Wish I still owned it.

19. ampelmann

ampelmann

I'll always have my first bass (Squier P) hanging on a wall. I bought one of those Silvertones new for $50, granted on sale, but you'll be extremely lucky if you can get even that much out of it. Not worth selling IMO.

20. Reaper Man

Reaper Man Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    still have my squier. Entertaining getting a new neck for it, maybe convert it to fretless, maybe Bed, Bath, and Beyond. I don't know if I'll have enough time

21. ejaggers

ejaggers

I traded my 1st bass which was a Kalamazoo KB for my Coronado II. It really didn't have any sentimental value, but my CII does, and I would never sell it. I was not able to afford both back then. I've thought many times about getting a EB0 which is what my KB looked like, except it was white. I wish I had my 1st amp though, which was a epi tube amp.