1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Didn't JPJ say he used rounds in LZ?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jmattbassplaya, Aug 9, 2013.

1. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Just curious because this definitely sounds like flats to me. Similar to my TI's, actually.

Awesome take either way :)
  2. thedane

thedane

I have never been able to get a bass with rounds on it to sound like that - not even by using foam mutes.
    If those were rounds...they were either very unusual rounds, or they were dead as doornails.

I agree they had a very "T.I." character in the low registers.
  3. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

I've always been of the opinion that his memory has failed him.
  4. winterburn69

winterburn69

Well that's just breathtaking to listen to early in the morning.

Yeah, he says he stopped using flats before Zeppelin was formed and used rounds, but every isolated track I've listened to sounds like flats. If they were rounds I have no idea how he'd EQ that into such authentic sounding flats, plus that sweet sweet Jazz growl. Wow!

On the other hand, I have a few dozen Zeppelin bootlegs, and there's one from '75 (can't recall the name or date ATM) and the bass the really upfront in the mix and very trebly, I'm certain it was rounds for that show.
  5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Perhaps he played live with rounds and used flats in the studios?
  6. winterburn69

winterburn69

Perhaps. Earlier bootlegs (1968-1970ish) have that thick thumpy flat tone like the isolated bass tracks though. Maybe he switched to rounds later on for gigs.

He did however definitely use rounds with his Alembics, but his tone wasn't nearly as good as the Jazz, so who cares, haha :p
  7. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Those have to be flats. You can hear the fret click and buzz, so the highs are not totally eq'd out, yet there is *no* string noise. And the overal sound of the non-note sounds (click, buzz, etc) is that of flats.

Bottom line - whatever he used, if you want his Zeppelin sound, you'd do better using flats than rounds.
  8. christle

christle Supporting Member

I remember reading an interview a number of years back that on the first two albums he used flats. That sounds like flats to me.
  9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Recently (last 15 years or so) he's said he used rounds since before LZ. But around 1977 or so, in a Guitar Player Magazine interview, he said he used flats until he got his first Alembic.

I think the earlier version is correct. It's closer to the time, he talked of why, and the recordings tend to support it.

Search for an earlier very long thread. Someone found the interview a d quoted it.
  10. bigmoosepi

bigmoosepi

he just used his tone knob afaik.
  11. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Today he uses Elixirs.
  12. _asdfgh_

_asdfgh_

The fret noise definitely suggests flats on the early recordings (I and II), probably Rotosounds or Labellas given the period and the string choices of the periods. I once bought a bass that had worn in Roto flats (too high a tension for my liking) but that did have that sound more than TI flats.
  13. PhR

PhR

This. Flats on his Jazz Bass, rounds on the '52 P-bass (single coil) and he also says that he tried flats for the Alemic but it sort of killed it and went back to rounds.
  14. Meddle

Meddle

Sounds like flats to me. He might have used rounds live, just to sit upfront in the mix a little more. However, on the Danmarks Radio video on the LZ DVD, it sounds like flats. On the intro to Communication Breakdown he seems a little high in the mix, and it sounds like flats to me...

Hearing all the nuances of this track, it sounds like an isolated Jamerson track in places. The passing notes he plays seems like a direct influence.
  15. jazzcat_13

jazzcat_13

He might have used flats when he played on a Jazz bass. He might have turned his bass up really high on his EQ.