1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Difference between a Squier and a Standard P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by topper, Nov 13, 2007.

1. topper

topper

OK, first off... no haters here... This is an honest question as I try to get my head around the whole Fender lineup.

What's the real difference between a Fender Standard P and a Squier standard P?

Bodies both are Alder and appear to have the exact same shape, necks have similar construction, the bridges look the same...

Does the Squier use inferior electronics?
    Is the difference just "build quality"? and what does that mean anyway?
    Do they use a different grade of wood?

If I took a Squier to a pro and had it set up what would be the real difference be between it and a Fender Standard?
  2. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

i believe it things like the wood although same (alder) not as good grade, same with the neck, and the electrics most things a cheaper version? and build quality not the same and i dnt know wat that means either? but on the other hand i have heard some squiers are actually nearly as good as the fenders? although when i played a fender jazz, and a squier jazz you could tell something was different.
    but it the old saying that you get wat you pay for innit? you won't get the same bass for less money,

I had this converstion in my music store last week as i want to get a jazz bass to replace my current 5er and was wondering if i could get away with a squier after playing im gonna save up for a fender.
  3. topper

topper

Yeah, I know you get what you pay for. I guess I'm wondering if I bought a squire got a good setup and upgraded the electronics, would I get close? Or is it really a lot more than that? Is a Fender neck substantially different from a Squier?
  4. Gashaponcito

Gashaponcito

The most notable difderence is this one:

In the headstock one has "Squier", in the other one it has "Fender"
  5. netbot

netbot

please! the OP is trying to make a decision and not start a discussion about decals. ok?

of course you can tell the difference between the two brands and as soon you compare the two instruments you feel it. the hardware is not the same and the electronics too. the difference in pricing is also a result where the instruments come from. the squier stuff is good. sometimes you get good instruments for good money.

it really depends what you are expecting from an instrument.
  6. Keef

Keef

A lot of it has to do with the labor and assembly costs of the country of origin.
  7. BassBob185

BassBob185

I wouldn't buy a Squire or Standard until I played them. If ordering online or eBay its a roll of the dice IMO. Master craftsmen are not building Squires, they are done on an assembly line with 'some' quality control. A friend of mine bought 2 Squire Ps on eBay. One good and the other not so good. As noted by some previously, you get what you pay for.
  8. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money... Supporting Member

The difference can easily be found using the search function.
  9. CharlyG

CharlyG The Blues had a Baby.......

Consistency of quality is about it. You can find Squires that outdo some American, but by and large, the wood is not as good and the electronics are cheaper. I vote against the search function. I thought we were here to talk to one another. JMO
  10. Lou

Lou

I'm new to bass, but all the Squiers i've tried just feel inferior. Same with guitars. To me, the neck feels kind of "rubberish". I don't know, they just do not feel like real wood. I know the electronics are cheaper, and that the components are made from a lower grade metal. And i think that applies to most brands.

That being said, i just found a late 80's Fender Squier P-Bass made in Korea the other day, and the neck and components feel the same as the USA made ones i've tried. Neck feels like real wood.

I could not buy a recently manufactured (lower end of line) intrument these days. I just can't stand that "rubberish" feeling of the neck.
  11. Busker

Busker

You're going to get close IMO.

I have a 2000 Squier P Bass Special (P & J pickups) which I bought used. I have to say, I like it a lot now, after a good set up. I had to level the frets however. They weren't too bad, but the 14th fret was a little low, which caused a buzz on the next fret. I don't play up there often, but I wanted it right, you know.... I have a rosewood board on mine. I rolled the edges a bit to make it feel a little more like a USA neck. Also, I put a Dimarzio P pickup in it.

Another thing I had to do, was to put a washer under the truss rod nut to get more adjustment out of the rod. But that's probably a common problem with a lot of used basses. You wouldn't likely have that problem on a new bass.

I plan on gigging with it. It'll be a good back-up bass. But its good enough to be a main bass I suppose, if you didn't want to gig with a more expensive one.
  12. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

I think the issues are cancelled out sometimes. You get a squier for $200 hoping to save money instead of buying a standard. You replace the pickups $75 then the tuners or bridge at least another $75 and your already at a price or a standard.

I will buy the ugliest bass in the world based solely on the neck. The neck has to feel great for me to buy a bass. That being said some of the other posters said it before, the next on the squiers for the most part suck. I worked a large chain music store and played literally hundreds of them. They, along with the mexican ones, are really hit and miss. Id say 2 in 10 squiers are good, 5 in 10 standards are good and 8 in 10 americans are good. I really prefer the americans, and I know its not in your price range, but the necks are just much better than any of their lower end basses.
  13. CharlyG

CharlyG The Blues had a Baby.......

+1
  14. Busker

Busker

Agreed. It may benefit from some upgrades & set up (like mine did), or it may be fine as is. I haven't played a lot of Squiers, but just about everything I read here tells me that Squier quality is pretty good and getting better.
  15. 0175westwood29

0175westwood29

if you gonna upgrade yeh it make a difference but how much would it be? overall? near to a used fender?
  16. JustOpenYourMind

JustOpenYourMind

IMO upgrading a squier is stupid, you can change everything, and it will still play like a 100$ bass. Some people, put hundreds of dollars in a cheap bass then, just because the paid a lot for the mods, start to believe that their axes are up to par with MIA fenders.

Sure you can do a very good setup on a squier then go and compare it to a never setup Mia or mim fender then say wow my axe plays better than those.

The truth is you get what you pay for, give the same setup, the same upgrades on a squier and on a mim fender and the mim will blow the squier out of the water, same is true for mim's vs. mia.

When you upgrade a cheap bass, you just put money in a bass you are going to change anyway.

For example, over the years I had all the different lines of fender P-bass. cheap jay turser knock-off to MIA fender. Guess what. I had the jay turser. wasn't happy with how it played, changed it for an MIM few months later wasn't happy with how it played or sounded, I changed the pick-ups, thought it sounded better, then few months later still wasn't having the sound I wanted, I finally bought an MiA Fender I fell in love with. It sounded beautyfull, over the months I still thought it was wonderfull, but I wanted it to sound more vintage, so I changed the pick-ups and now I had this bass for years and will never sell it. I bought other basses but it they weren't P-basses and I needed them for other sounds.

Bottom line, only nice basses are worth upgrading, because they are already good from the start. Upgrading won't change the sound of the bass in a drastic way the just bring tiny changes, changing parts is a way to fine tune a bass not to try and make it become something it's not.
  17. ThunderLizard

ThunderLizard

There's been a lot of good press about the Squier Modified series. Haven't played one yet, but I don't see anything wrong with Squier as a budget brand. I'd certainly buy one that 'spoke' to me.
    I wouldn't buy any bass with the idea of installing different parts. And I wouldn't take a budget bass in for a $150 pro set-up. With a few tools and a little time & research, you can set up a standard Fender type bass very well on your own. But that's just me.
    Good Luck To You!
  18. hitmanhbk1992

hitmanhbk1992

if you're looking to get a squier, you should look at the vintage modified squiers. some people here on talbass (me included) swear that they sound better than the MIM fenders, actually. the VM Precision (white, with black pickguard) is really nice for the price.
  19. BurbsToo

BurbsToo

I have a squier P-bass. Almost brand new, and it get's the job done, but after a while you notice some things. Example, a screw fell out of the pick guard after a few days, the action is a little off (but that can be fixed with an allen wrench), the A string has some vibrations when played open (fixed with a dab of rubber cement). Nothing big, but as some believe, "it's the little things in life that matter." And recently I noticed some scratching noises, but I think that's my cable. So if you're deciding between a used fender P and a new squier P, I would say go for the fender IF and ONLY IF you have the patience to shop around and find one that's not too broken in. And as stated above, the modified squiers are badass.
  20. Jamie_Funk

Jamie_Funk Supporting Member

IMO - you have to separate the "regular" Squiers from the Vinatge Modified saeries - no comparision. The VM series is superior and IMO on par or better in most cases than the MIMs I have played most times even without a pickup upgrade.

And as far as upgrade money being wasted - it all depends on the bass and whther or not resale is a huge cocnern for you (isn't for me - I just wnat my bass to sound great). I have Nordstrands in my VM Jazz, paid less total than for an MIM Jazz, and it is superior by far in EVER way. YMMV, but at is my experience.

Forget about the NAME on the headstock - play every version you can, then decide.

Jamie