Difference between bass and guitar cables?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassistcali, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Bassistcali

Bassistcali

I was looking for monster cables and there was one for bass. I never heard of one just for bass. Is there a difference in sound or anything?
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    According to the Monster website the cables are different. Mogami is also making different cable for each instrument. I doubt you would notice a difference between them though.
  4. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Buy what you want - but there is no electrical / sonic reason to buy Monster.
    They're horribly overpriced and some have reported fitment issues - those big connectors don't fit everywhere.

There are lots of excellent cables available at a fraction of the price.
    Since most of the appeal is marketing hype, it doesn't surprise me that they'd try to further create confusion by establishing a 'bass' and 'guitar' pseudo-differentiation.

It's your money, buy what makes you happy - but unless you're fixated, there is money to be saved. This topic comes up a lot...

End of unsolicited rant to a question you didn't ask...
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. sxaxsx

sxaxsx

It's a gimmick. Monster is the only cable company I have ever seen sell separate guitar and bass cables. Monster claims that there is a difference in the construction of the cable that helps certain frequencies come out better but whether there is any truth to it is up to you.
    More importantly is whether or not you want your cables effecting your sound? I personally would prefer a cable that doesn't color my sound and would prefer to adjust my EQ with my amp and bass tone controls.
    If you do a search on here you will find a ton of people who love Monster and swear by them, but you will find just as many players that either out right hate them and believe that their cables ruined their input jacks or people who just think they are a waste of money. I for one have never bought a cable for more than $20. I don't shop at GC if I can help it and all the privately owned guitar shops where I live sell Rapco's with their stores name printed on them, that's what I use.
  7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

No, but undoubtedly some will disagree. Monster loves those folks.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Don't buy monster cables for anything, especially their 1/4" cables. Their 1/4" plugs are slightly larger so they wreck jacks from what I hear.

From a sales perspective, Monster cables cost a a couple extra dollars more than a normal cable but they retail for 5-10x what other cables cost. They are a fantastic up sell.
  9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Yup!
  10. steelbed45

steelbed45 TRemington

+1

I'm someone who bought into the hype a decade ago. While I still have the cable and it works fine, I also have less expensive cables that sound just fine and have been around as long. I could have picked up a set of strings with the savings off the Monster...
  11. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

It is all true.

Yep. And, the biggest sales BS story of it all is, Monster bass cables DO NOT emphasize bass frequencies, they de-emphasize the high freqs, fooling the user into thinking that they sound bassier. :rolleyes:

I will NEVER buy any product that has the word Monster attached to it.
  12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    Several companies are selling instrument specific cables. Monster and Mogami are the most well known of these.

http://www.mogamicable.com/
  13. Dellers

Dellers

A cable is a cable as long as it's working. I'm a sound engineer, and cables are among the few things that I never need to spend much money on.
  14. Carl_D

Carl_D Guest

Monster cables = Snake Oil. :D
  15. jim nolte

jim nolte

I just had another Monster bass cable go out on me yesterday. This cable has never been gigged, only have used it in my living room for practice! It seems to be the actual jack itself and not the connections. It's less than a year old:rolleyes: I too always wondered if the perceived increase in bass was because of the cutting of the highs. These cables,my second, don't seem to last very long. This will be my last one. Jim
  16. AMachine

AMachine

I work at one of the premier sound company's in New England and you don't need to spend as much as you think just make sure the cable is in proper working order. We use Rapco and Pro co mostly for backline and maybe a few others.
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm a Fuzzrocious-aholic. It's been one week since I bought my last Fuzzrocious pedal.
    Is that a left handed bass cable, or a right handed bass cable? If you get the wrong one your note come out backwards. :D
  18. Shaky

Shaky

FWIW
    When buying a cable I look for a good quality thick shielded flexible cable with metal plugs. If it is thin or has plastic molded plugs I tend to stay away from them. I then look at the price and any warranty info. The last cable I bought was a standard Fender cable mainly because the dealer I got it from recently replaced a friends cable no questions asked.
  19. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

Media:
    It is very important however, to keep a snake well oiled.
  20. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

True. However, that problem is easily fixed by turning your back to the audience and facing the back of the stage (unless your bass is made with tonewood in which case it won't make any difference).
  21. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

I'm not a fan of Monster, but I think they solved this particular problem many years ago, and they replaced cables for anyone who asked for a replacement cable at the time. ...too bad I didn't ask them to pay for my jack replacement.