1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EMG35P4 AND 35P4CS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schecter_4_life, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Schecter_4_life

Schecter_4_life

Hello just like the title says I bought a 35p4cs and can't find any info on it. What is the difference between it and the 35p4? The EMG site doesn't sell the 35p4cs so is this a discontinued pickup?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps
    I do not know, but EMG customer service is pretty great, so if you don't get an answer here, call or email them tomorrow.

3. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

The difference is that the 35 models uses a ceramic bar magnet. The CS designation usually means a steel bar with a ceramic loading magnet which sounds warmer with more inductance so it has a more muted high-frequency response. However, I cannot see that there is a 35P4CS currently made. I did a google search and found an ebay listing that just ended Nov 19, 2013 with a $40 high bid. I think it was a misprint on the model number. The seller did not provide pictures of the bottom of the pickup which said what the model number actually was; so we have to go by his listing description. However, one person selling something on ebay does not mean the said pickup actually exists. I cannot find enough google search entries to even verify that EMG ever made or sold one of these pickups with the model number 35P4CS; but anything is possible I guess.

My guess is that this pickup doesn't exist. When you get it it will likely say it is a 35CS or 35JCS on the bottom. Please if I am wrong update this thread.

4. DistortedBass

DistortedBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    The CS is more subtle, traditional sounding. Definitely smoother than the normal P4. The 35P4 is more aggressive. The classic EMG tone.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Schecter_4_life

Schecter_4_life

joelb79 I'm actually the one that one it and on the bottom of the pickup it is a 35P4CS so it must be a discontinued pickup. Probably similar to the 35JCS where it has both steel and ceramic inside.

7. joelb79

joelb79 Supporting Member

Precisely. EMG knows what they make, but those model codes are confusing since its not a current product and there isnt a manual online for it.

I would suspect its like we both deduct, P coils with Ceramic/Steel magnets.