1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Difference between Labella 45-105 and 52-110

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KB4178, Jan 21, 2014.

1. KB4178

KB4178

I've been playing 45-105 flats for a long time. Recently switched from Rotosound to La Bella Deep Talkin' Bass. I just discovered that La Bella has a "Vintage" set of Deep Talkin' Bass in 52-110. Never having played strings in that gauge, I'm wondering what difference I'd see in tone and playability. Thanks!

2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

They're constructed differently but the main difference is the huge tension. They're very, very stiff and you're fingers are gonna hurt for a while until you get used to them. But if you want as legit a vintage pbass sound as you can get, the 52-110 are the way to go.

3. shawshank72

shawshank72

There is a very big difference.
    The tension is a dramatic change but the tone as agreed with above is the tone many are after.
    Those strings are not for the weak of person or bass.

4. soulman969

soulman969

I hear the ones they don't sell get used as support cables for suspension bridges. ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Grissle

Grissle

High tension strings also allow for really low action which even's things out. Of course I learned on Roto 66's, but I never had any problems with the old Jamerson sets after setting up the bass up for them.

7. donn

donn

I think you're talking about the 760M `"Original 1954" Fender Style', also known informally as "Jamersons". They have too many names.

On my bass they are pretty comfortable, but it's a tailpiece style hollow body, where the string length is a couple inches longer than the scale, so for tension it's like long scale tuned down a step or two.

Oddly, I hardly ever read about anyone trying the heaviest gauge in the regular line, the 760FM, .049-.109.

8. shrimpflea

shrimpflea

I played the La Bella 760FMs for about 6 months before eventually switching to the 760FLs. I really liked the tone but I could only play them for about 30 minutes and then my hands would hurt...thought I would get used to them but never really did, so went down to the lower gauge which I love....but the FMs had more booty...maybe I'll try again one day.

Flatwound String Reviews

9. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Gold Supporting Member

My neck is bowing just from reading those string gauges.

10. Gorn Captain

The tension is no joke. You need a good strong neck for them. My gamma pbass laughs at the tension but a Squier I once had, nothing against them, but it bowed like it was made out of plastic.

11. oldtech

oldtech

I've been using those Jamersons on my American Standard P-Bass for 10 years. I have a new set in my gig bag if one ever breaks.

On that bass they stay in tune and make a wonderful sound. I use that P-Bass 80% of the time, partly from habit and partly because there is almost no combination of amp settings or sound reinforcement that can make it sound bad. I'm always happy when I hear the playback from the gig. Maybe it helps hide my problems. :eyebrow:

12. Gorn Captain

I'd pay for a 10 year old set. If you ever decide to get rid of them.....

13. deepbluesuk

deepbluesuk

I've gigged 760M's for years on a 78 Precision. Wouldn't change them for anything.

14. oldtech

oldtech

:cool: