Difference between old time, bluegrass and Irish

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by bobsax, Feb 14, 2014.

1. bobsax

bobsax

I found this herehttp://bluegrassnation.org/link_type/the-difference-between-bluegrass-old-time-and-celtic-bands-now-finally-explained/

Bass
    A Celtic band never has a bass, while a Bluegrass band always has a bass. An old, Old Time band doesn’t have a bass, but new time Old Time bands seem to need one for reasons that are unclear. A Bluegrass bass starts playing with the band on the first note. An Old Time bass, if present, starts sometime after the rest of the band has run through the tune once depending on the player’s blood alcohol content. A Bluegrass bass is polished and shiny. An Old Time bass is often used as yard furniture.
  2. RSBBass

RSBBass

Hey I played bass in a Celtic band.
  3. sporter323

sporter323

Yes, I play bass in an Irish band and the techniques are entirely different from when I play in a bluegrass band. There is more drama at the beginning and during the tune with the bass laying out until the tune is established or in a place that the guitar player and I insert diamonds for interest and support. I also make few runs and use spare leading tones at chord changes. But, I do seek interesting bass notes that are unexpected and different from time to time to change it up. I watch the guitar player to coordinate that so we do not clash.
  4. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kraeton

kraeton

This reminds me of that age old question:

What's the difference between a fiddle and a violin?

Nobody cares when you spill moonshine on a fiddle ;)
  7. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Shhhhh... Don't tell my BL/Guitarist that bass isn't found in a Celtic band, he's always looking for an excuse to bring in drums instead of bass (and the fiddler hates drums in a Celtic band).

I've been in a Celtic band for the last 5 years; this coming Monday we're playing our annual St. Patrick's Day gig at the pub where we play at Christmas, NYE, Rugby 7s and other odd times of the year. Mostly a trio, sometimes with a drummer and other musicians ad hoc.

I jammed a few nights ago with a Bodhran player, flautist, 3 fiddlers, guitarist, mandolinist, bagpiper... Luckily they either didn't know I was a bass player, or they didn't know bass is not part of Celtic music. :D