1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Difference between types of Precision pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MrWalker, Dec 18, 2013.

1. MrWalker

MrWalker

Apr 3, 2002
    Norway
    Talking about the 51 single coil design vs the newer spilt coil design vs the Cabronita/Filtertron design.

How do these compare with respect to vibe/sound?

2. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Did a search and found this post - can anybody give a basic definition of these? In particular - split coil vs cabronita filtertron?

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
  5. Soundwise the Split Coil will have the fullest sound without any hum like the single coil and it will be brighter on the D and G string. The single coil has a little less mids, sharper attack, and pretty good bottom end. The D and G won't have as much treble but will still retain that sharp attack. I always though that the single coil P bass pickup would be weak sounding until I played a 68 Telecaster bass. I was really suprised. Like I said it's not as full bodied as the split P but has its own characteristics. You have to try one to understand it. Try to find a nice reissue, Sting Sig, or even a Telecaster (pre 71).

manchild likes this.
  6. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks spirit - do you (or anyone) know how the Cabronita/Filtertron will sound like compared to the split coil - given that it is a true humbucker albeit a small one? Will it be thumpy and mid orientated?

Thanks.

7. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Here is a link i found on youtube, may help.

manchild likes this.
  8. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Heres the squier

manchild likes this.
  9. I have yet to try the Cabronita but from what I see and hear, I would choose a more traditional P bass pickup (SC or Split).

manchild likes this.
  10. manchild

manchild

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks guys - anyone else heard this pickup and have any views on it? Does it sound thick/fat like you would expect a humbucker to sound?