1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

difference paperback and online lesson

Discussion in 'Ask Tony Grey' started by sshark06, Dec 30, 2013.

1. sshark06

sshark06

Hi, big fan of you here :D

i am considering buy your bass academy book in amazon, bur before that, I want to know the difference btw paperback and online lesson.

Of course, online lessons will be update gradually, but in same lesson in paperback, does it contain same video and contents in it like in online lessons....?

and.... can you recomment btw two to your possible students..?

Thanx your kind and perfect teaching on me :D
  2. tony grey

tony grey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsements; Yamaha, Fodera, Aguilar, TC Electronic, Peterson, Zoom
    Hello and thank you for your mail...
    The paperback book has some similar concepts but nothing as big as the online Academy. I had to edit a lot for the book but with the online lessons I can demonstrate much more and get really inside the concept. The DVD for the book is also different material from any online lessons. I'm very happy with the book and the Online School is growing everyday. Thanks again. Hope to keep in touch.
  3. sshark06

sshark06

So your recommend is online lesson to serious student???

Or, is it more efficient to training some of your idea by book first, then join to your online lessons??
  4. Marihino

Marihino

I have the book and it's absolutely awesome. Gives you years worth of practice and growth material, especially considering that Tony presented all concept in one key for the sake of space and clarity, and it's still a hefty volume. Also, not just the notation and excercises, but the text parts are the best I've seen, particularly ones focusing on mindset etc. That said, I'm still signing up to the Academy, as soon as the internet people finally manage to install a good broadband connection at my new home.
  5. tony grey

Disclosures:
    It's up to you really the book is the book, the Online option gives you more material beginner to Advanced and I'm there to support and mentor. There is also a nice community growing in the forum there. Hope to see you in there :)
  6. tony grey

Disclosures:
    Hi there thank you so much. That really makes the work worth while. I'm glad you like it and I'm looking forward to working with you in the Academy.
  7. Marihino

Marihino

I have signed up and it all looks great, you definitely put a lot of thought and effort into the Academy, Tony, and you also seem to enjoy doing it. Great stuff, the forum also seems helpful and supportive. I'll try to come up with a priority list and an initial practice schedule for myself over the weekend and will then reach out to get your thoughts.
  8. tony grey

Disclosures:
    Hi there. thank you yes. I look forward to hearing from you. The Academy was so much work but it is such a joy to do and I'm so glad to have some really dedicated musicians in there.
  9. GastonD

GastonD

OK then, I'll be ordering this one in the next few days. While I love the concept behind the online academy, it just happens to be out of my financial reach for the time being, but hopefully the book/DVD package will fill the void until I join the online school :)
  10. tony grey

Disclosures:
    Hi Gaston yeah thanks a lot. We are close to relaunching the Academy to a whole new version. I'm so excited...
    Hope to see you in there soon.
    All the best, Tony
  11. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy Supporting Member

I just received my copy of the book and DVD this morning and spent most of the day going through it. It provides the player with the most comprehensive foundation of any other body of work I have bought. And I have bought and borrowed most of the stuff that is out there. I'm a learning junkie and have BA of Music and found this book was laid out better than my University curriculum.

I would use the book as my foundation and then go to the online to delve into a particular subject in more detail if required.

All this for under $20! Magnificent. Best bang for buck book/DVD I have ever bought.
  12. tony grey

Disclosures:
    Thank you so much that means a lot. It was a crazy amount of work but words like this make it all worth while.
    The Academy is a bigger version with detailed examples of the concepts plus I'm there for tech support and guidance. I'm learning so much from this whole experience.
  13. Kmrumedy

....and it shows! You really laid this out very well. It looks like you had to net this book down from a huge base of materials and pick what was most important.

Question - Oddly enough the part of my playing I am struggling with or certainly most indecisive about at the moment is strap height and playing ergonomics. Originally the reason I bought your book was a YouTube vid I saw when you talked about technique and sitting with your bass on the opposite leg so it was in the same position sitting or standing.

My question is I am transcribing some technically difficult solos and can't decide on strap height. My right hand is more comfortable with bass lower but then my left hand suffers. (I play a Ken Smith 5 string tuned Low E to high C.). I find reaching the E and A strings uncomfortable and upper register of the bass harder to play when my bass is lower. I tried placing my bass on my opposite leg as per the DVD and it matches my lower strap height exactly but again my left hand feels weird. I find myself hunching over ala Hadrian Feraud when he sits to play the upper registers. I am in this same position.... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Im-u_PALGnE

Which is completely different when I stand up. The bass moves down and to the right. To get my bass to match this sitting position I have to raise my strap and my bass ends up looking like a neck tie! Lol! Not comfortable at all and my right hand then suffers and my wrists gets bent to accommodate! I can't win!

Any comments or solutions? It seems weird given my experience. I am not a beginner. I am technically proficient but my playing is trying to get to the next level and I am absolutely stuck on this. It is driving me nuts!!

I just can't get comfortable to play these solos standing up.

Did you go through this?
  14. GastonD

GastonD

If I may offer my two cents (or pence from Tony's perspective maybe), I find the sitting position with the bass on the opposite leg (basically the classical guitar position, right?) to work very fine with me. I first saw it from Gary Willis and now it's my standard approach. Anyway, that does require a "remodeled" right arm/hand position, with the wrist straight, even if if entails some conditioning in the shoulder.

Btw, I ordered Tony's Academy book today, and hope it will reach me some time next week :)
  15. tony grey

Disclosures:
    Hi there... I just try to keep my body as open as possible so the muscles can breath. I just judge the height of my strap so it's nor resting on my leg but touching it. Keeping my back straight and shoulders open. It stays in that position when I stand. My right wrist is hardly bent at all.
    I used to have terrible posture when I was playing. My strap was way too high.
    It's important first too make sure your posture is good then just have the strap length that makes your wrist relax.
    You have to be comfortable. It's the key. A Wider stronger strap may help you feel buckled in and make it tight to your body.
  16. tony grey

Disclosures:
    Thanks bro. Yes I'm a fan of the Classical Technique. You want your body to have to do the least amount of effort. Everything has to be open and flowing.
  17. Kmrumedy

Thank you for the response Tony.

The picture in your avatar is also my seated position which is kind of bent/leaning towards the bass. Once you stand, then the back is straight, shoulders are open....but then my bass is not in the same position as seated because my body has shifted not the bass....THAT is my issue. I hunch my body closer to the bass when seated so my body position seated and standing are not the same. Argh!

I guess as you suggest in the video is to just be conscious of it to correct it.
  18. tony grey

Disclosures:
    you should experiment with different straps. It will get sorted bro. I hope sooner rather than later :)
  19. GastonD

GastonD

So I got my book/DVD a couple days back and thumbed through it...wow! This book is really a work of art! First, it is set up in the way that I find very practical; second, the topics addressed are pertinent; third, the whole product works extremely well together.

However, what I like best so far is that some of the info in the book (if you are able to look at it even the tiniest bit conceptually) will also help you get most of other instructional materials that are out there. I have no idea if that had been tony's intention or not, but it certainly is a great "feature".

All in all, probably by far the best bang for the buck product in the market at the moment.
  20. tony grey

Disclosures:
    Thank you thank you thank you? I have bought so many instructional books over the years and I was fed up by working through them only to feel like I was no further forward at the end of them. I wanted to basically help people realize you have to dig out the creativity in any exercise you are working on.
    Ask these questions to yourself.

Why am I working on this?
    How is it going to benefit me?
    How can I get the most of what I'm working on?
    How can I make it a part of my sound and creativity?

Glad you like the book. I feel the book however only scratches the service of what the Online Academy is.
    A book is a book and it's a lot of editing.
    The internet and website is way more intense with examples of every little concept plus I'm there to support and guide :)
    Kind of like customer support for an instructional book.
    So you really get the most out of it with a solid structure.