differences between current Warwick Alien and Rockbass

Discussion in 'Warwick Basses' started by smcbass, Mar 15, 2014.

1. smcbass

smcbass

What are the differences between the current Warwick Alien (street about $1700) and the Rockbass Alien Deluxe (street about $800)?

Does the Rockbass Alien Deluxe come with a gig bag?
  2. Quaff1

Quaff1 Supporting Member

The Warwick Alien is made made with Okangol wood vs Bubinga for the Rockbass Deluxe. It also has an upgraded electronics.
    The deluxe does not come with a case or bag (dumb)
    I actually just ordered a Deluxe 4 Fretless - can't wait for it to arrive - hopefully this week.
    I will be posting pics for sure.
    Jason
  3. smcbass

smcbass

I noticed that the bridge on the Warwick Alien has a separate metal tailpiece instead of pegs, and the trim around the soundhole is different. I looked at the prices for the preamps for the Warwick Alien and the Rockbass Alien, and the Warwick's preamp is only approximately $200 more than the Rockbass. It's hard to account for the fact that the Warwick is twice as expensive as the Rockbass. I hope the Warwick rep will chime in.
  4. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

I'm seriously considering one of these basses too. I played one at Cream City Music in Milwaukee and it felt right. Then I heard Andy Irvine's online demo and I loved the sound. Id love to try a real Warwick before I buy one
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. smcbass

smcbass

Does Warwick usually exhibit at Summer NAMM? Maybe we could play the Aliens there.
  7. smcbass

smcbass

One other difference - The Warwick Alien has that thumb rest that has to be removed.:D
  8. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Guys,

All of this info is laid out nicely on the warwick site, check it out! Just select alien, and you'll see specs for all models.

Here are some specs you will find on the site:

Warwick Alien:

24 Jumbo Bronze (extra hard) frets (Width: 2.9 mm / Height: 1.3 mm) Laminated Spruce top, bottom and sides made of laminated Ovangkol Fishman Prefix PlusT electronics Rosewood bridge with bone saddle, Warwick tailpiece

Alien Deluxe:

Fishman Presys Preamp
    Rosewood bridge with bone saddle and slotted bridge pins
    24 Extra high Jumbo Nickel Silver frets (Width: 2.9 mm / Height: 1.3 mm)
    Laminated Spruce top, back and sides made of laminated Bubinga

Alien Standard:

24 Extra high Jumbo Nickel silver frets (Width: 2.9 mm / Height: 1.3 mm) Mahogany neck Laminated Spruce top / back and sides made of laminated Agathis Fishman Sonitone preamp Rosewood bridge with bone saddle and slotted bridge pins

Feel free to PM any questions!

Best,

Mike
    Warwick USA
  9. smcbass

smcbass

Mike,

For the benefit of everyone participating in this thread, what are the differences in the various Alien models that cause the price differences? There is not a huge difference in the prices of the preamps. I understand that the Warwick Alien comes in a gig bag. The Warwick Alien costs nearly $1,000.00 more than the Alien Deluxe. I don't mind paying the extra $1,000.00 if I know that I'm getting value for that money, but I would like to know what I'm paying for. Your comments would be appreciated.
  10. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    SMC,

I totally understand your concern. Rest assured there are factors which differentiate, and justify the pricing difference.
    The clear differences are found in the quality of the materials, (wood/electronics) complexity of design, build time, and attention to detail (binding details ect)

First off, you will get a good idea of watching Andy's different videos, covering all the alien models. He really delves into the differences:

The Warwick Alien is made out of Ovangkol Sides and Back, Bone saddle, Fishman Prefix PlusT electronics Wenge Fingerboard (Fretted) and this Bass is far more difficult to make, with a different bracing, as well the Rosewood inlays ect. The concept is different, and so are the man hours.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Mike
    Warwick USA
  11. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    No way! I love the thumbrest on my Alien 5! Although I don't use it constantly, when I do the feel and positioning are "just right".
  12. smcbass

smcbass

Mike,
    Will Warwick be exhibiting at Summer NAMM?
  13. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

Disclosures:
    SMC,

Our distributor US Music will be there representing us this summer. For more information on what you might find there and booth # contact US Music directly!

Best,

Mike
    Warwick USA
  14. KimGT99

KimGT99

Hi SMC

I played both and decided for the Deluxe. Although I prefer the general looks of the Alien, to me it wasn't worth to spend the extra money. This because an acoustic bass is a pure hobby and at home thing to me. If it were my working horse, I might have chosen the expensive one. But built quality is still really good with the deluxe! Soundwise, both a very, very close to each other. Even more since I have the 6 string deluxe which comes stock with the preamp from the Alien, not the cheapo (still the acoustic sounds doesn't change there :) ). As for the thumbrest, Warwick was (as always) very kind and added it (was worth the few bucks!). As for the gigbag...I bought one, that's all.
    But as for all instrument (you see it coming) A/B test for yourself if you can.
    As for me, I'm very, very happy with my deluxe! Sounds aaawesooome ;)
  15. TolerancEJ

TolerancEJ

I own a Rockbass Alien Deluxe 6 and enjoy it greatly. I felt the need to own an ABG but not knowing how frequently I would play it contributed to my decision according to the cost difference. However, one major selling point for me was the absence of the thumb rest, which looks like it would be very uncomfortable to play around.

Other than that, the RB Alien Deluxe electronics are actually quite nice, with the tone settings and built-in tuner. I don't really need the upgraded electronics in the Warwick version.

It's a blast to just pick up and noodle whenever an idea pops into my head, without the need of plugging in & turning on an amp. The body is quite large, which allows for a deep tone. The only thing I wish the Deluxe included would be the adjustable metal tailpiece. But the existing pegs are fine and the intonation seems to be in order.
  16. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

For some models, the Warwick website does a good job of providing detailed descriptions and pictures. For the Alien Series, it does a lousy job and needs to be improved.

The Warwick website isn't compatible with phones and tablets either.