1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Differences between the Two Squier VM Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldleftybass, Jan 24, 2013.

1. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Hi- first post here!

I'm looking at getting a VM bass (and I'm a lefty). I have a Rogue short scale violin bass, looking for a starter long scale (I only play at home, classic rock). So I'm after thump thump, not ping, pang, twang. The sunburst VM has a rosewood fingerboard and basswood bodywood (is that correct?), the natural has a full maple neck, soft maple body.
    Other than that they look identical. Do I have that right- and any suggestions? Do they have a different sound or is it really just looks? I'd really prefer a VM or CV P-bass like this, but I'm guessing that's not available- at least lefty? Thanks!
  2. Bobster

Bobster

In a nutshell, you are correct. The only differences are body wood and fretboard.

The soft maple is a harder wood than the basswood and will resist dings and dents better. Basswood has a good tone, but I have a VM 5 with the soft maple body and it has a good tone as well. Do you prefer natural or burst finishes?

The pickups are the same for both basses.

I think those are the differences. Best of luck with the decision.

Bob
  3. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

No strong preference on the finish, just looking for any differences in sound. Another question- did they make any Classic Vibe P-basses? I can't find any info on them, so I assume not.
  4. Wallace320

Wallace320

Yet, both lefty Vintage Modified Jazzes are great, believe me... You only need to pay good attention to necks: quality control on them is not so special, so sometimes you can incur in lemons.
    Other than that, you can't really go wrong with both: lighter and with a rounder sound the sunburst basswood body, heavier and punchier the natural maple body.

Duncan Designed pickups are nothin' special, yet they're hot enough to deliver some

Cheers,
    Wallace
  5. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Thanks Wallace- that's what I wanted to know!
  6. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

Yes, they do. Don't know why you would have a hard time finding that out, they're one of the most popular basses that Squier makes. There's the Fiesta red one, they used to make one in sonic blue that's now OOP, the Matt Freeman bass is considered to be a CV P-bass.
  7. plarry

plarry

Agreed. But I installed a Seymour Duncan SPB-1 on my Squier Vintage Mod. P-Bass recently... $65 bucks well spent, IMHO. ;)
  8. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

He means lefty CV P basses
  9. Joe 1956

Joe 1956

If you're talking along these lines, no. (As a lefty myself, the blue one is really the one I'd want).

http://www.fender.com/basses/precision-bass/classic-vibe-precision-bass-50s-09/

http://www.fender.com/basses/precision-bass/classic-vibe-precision-bass-50s/

Fender quite frankly doesn't really care about lefties. They'd of course welcome you with open arms to the Custom Shop. :spit:
  10. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

Dang- too bad. I'd take the natural in a heartbeat it it was available as a lefty.
  11. C.Linton

Ah, I see. Sorry.
  12. C.Linton

Well, they do have a lefty natural VM jazz.
  13. oldleftybass

oldleftybass

So if I was after more of a P-bass sound, but they don't make a VM or CV lefty P-bass, I could put a P-pickup like a Dimarzio in this bass to get a lefty of this ilk with more bottom end?