Differences in Fender vs Squier tortoiseshell pickguard

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by runt, Apr 14, 2014.

1. runt

runt

Hi! I'm looking to put a new pickguard on my CV 60s P Bass, and was wondering if the tort guard that comes on it from Squier is any different from a Fender-made tort guard. The Fender guard says 4-ply tort, and the one that came on it from squier is definitely not 4-ply, so I'm wondering what exactly the aesthetic differences are. Also, I've seen some aftermarket tort guards marked "red" or "brown". Are these actually different and which one is closer to the one that comes from Squier?
  2. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

The stock CV tort is micro thin junky printed photo. A real tort will have a thick layer (not as thick as the three other layers) that is actual plastic of the different colors swirled together and then pressed. Looks way better.

The reds look very red. Brown is the classic look. For my CV 60's P i used one from china That fit perfectly and all the screw holes lined up perfectly. Mine was cream pearl. Here's a tort from the same seller. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Precision-P...395?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3cce64292b

When you zoom in on the pics, you can see the thickness of the tort layer at the screwholes; your CV pg is basically a tort photo decal.
  3. runt

runt

Thank you! I suspected that the stock CV was just a printed decal...
  4. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man. Supporting Member

Yeah get that one from eBay. It's sweet at half the price.
  5. Register to disable this ad