Differences?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by d_town, Sep 30, 2013.

1. d_town

d_town

Can someone explain the difference between the standard series and California series squiers..?
  2. d_town

d_town

3. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

California series Squiers? Never heard of them, can't help you there.
    However, the Squier Standards were a middle ground model between the Affinity and Vintage Modified lines. The Standards have been OOP for a few years now.
  4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Fender had a California Series in the late 90's, was pretty much MIM parts assembled in Coronado ... there was also a Traditional Series, much the same, and at the same time there were 'Squier Series' basses .. perhaps there is some cross over in the terminology you picked up, but I dont remember any Calif. Series Squiers directly ... Squier Standards are decent basses, with great necks, that pretty much morphed into the early VM line ... the Squier Standard Series had both Jazz and Precision basses, the P's used a PJ set up, with a Jazz neck ... I only got involved with these in the early 2000 range, and they were made in Indonesia ... I have had probably 8+ of the Squier Standard J's, as I used them for testing flatwound strings ... I still have 2 left ... pretty much use them for loaners or testing ...
  5. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Hey d_town, are you in the states? I seem to remember a short run of Chinese made Squier guitars (mainly Strats and Teles) that were called the California Series, but I don't think they were widely distributed here in the US. Early 2000s maybe? I could be way off though.
  6. d_town

d_town

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380558303.824783.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1380558315.323934.jpg here's the one i'm looking at, it's listed as an '05 model. I'm in Australia, i was hoping these weren't a 'bottom' grade..? I have a p/j standard too, you're saying they're jazz necks??
  7. d_town

d_town

8. d_town

d_town

Also, what are the pups in the squier standards..?
  9. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

10. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty Supporting Member

The California Series basses were painted in Mexico. Everything else happened in California.