Different kinds of Mics?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by facepalmmaster, Dec 25, 2012.

1. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

So, I got some amazon and best buy gift cards (not much, $25 Best buy and $50 Amazon) for christmas, so I figured since i have nothing else to spend it on id get a microphone to start recording things. Ive sort of given up on direct recording, but now im stuck. I see all these different kinds of microphones, and I dont know which ones are best for recording bass. Theres vocal, condensing, dynamic, etc..... Which one is best, and can you give any suggestions on specific ones? Try to stay in the range of those gift cards, but a little over wont hurt

2. knumbskull

knumbskull

3. knumbskull

knumbskull

...really though, you can use anything and blend with a DI.

what are you recording to? laptop/software/firewire?

4. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Um, I have a laptop, so i guess im recording to that. And I just dont understand how to do the whole DI thing, I dont think i have the equipment, and i think it might just be too confusing.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

well, DI just means you plug straight in to whatever recording interface you're using. which is easier than using a mic in a lot of ways!

with your budget, and if you're just starting out recording, I'd recommend getting a Line6 Toneport or similar, and using the bundled software. You just plug straight in and it includes some very useable bass amp modellers. You can also bypass the amp sims and just record "straight" if you like.

(on the slightly more expensive models, you can also use a mic if you absolutely must have a mic'ed sound :) ).

cheapest -

http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX/dp/B001EHWD0I/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1356461235&sr=1-3&keywords=line6+toneport

next one up (takes mic inputs too) -

http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-UX1/dp/B001EKECAY/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1356461235&sr=1-1&keywords=line6+toneport

7. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

I understand how DI works, i just think itd be more confusing, and itd be a lot easier just to get a microphone to record. Plus, even that might be a bit out of my price range. But with this DI, it comes with EVERYTHING ill need to record?

8. knumbskull

knumbskull

yep, it comes with everything :)

the Toneport comes with Ableton Light, which is pretty versatile recording and mixing software. also a bunch of drum samples. it's a great way to start creating tracks or getting down ideas.

here's an old track i recorded using just a UX2 Toneport, including drum samples and post production etc (actual instruments were a Squier jazz bass and an old Washburn electric guitar):

http://www.last.fm/music/Sausage+Creature/Oh+God,+No:+Outtakes+and+B-Sides/Gerry+Echoplex

...anyway, it gives you an idea of what you can do :)

9. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Will this only take the tone of the bass, or can you turn up the treble and stuff on the actual bass and record that? Im not one to play with just the bass sound, and i like the tone my pre-amp treble gives.
    Also, just in case this is out of my price range, all i need to do is find a condenser mic with a low range? Do you know if this will also work for voice too? And final question, what would i need software-wise to record with the microphone?

10. knumbskull

knumbskull

you can EQ the bass track after it is recorded, if that's what you mean?

If you're recording with a mic, you'll need either a dedicated USB mic, or a USB interface for a normal mic (which will set you back yet more money).

here's a quick bit of info:

http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/art_connect_microphone_to_pc.php

in terms of software, a lot of people like Audacity (not just because it's free!):

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Reaper is also supposed to be good, and is free. I like Ableton Live Lite, just because it came with the Line6 interface and is dead easy to use.

11. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Hm, maybe I will go for DI recording, It seems like USB mics arent that great... I could be wrong, but whatever, as long as I can buy one thing and be done, its fine with me. Is the thing you told me about the only good DI recording....thingy, or are there other good ones that are cheaper?

12. knumbskull

knumbskull

the Studio GX SB interface has everything you need to plug in and start recording. My advice is purely subjective since i found the Line6 stuff really easy and fun to use, but hey, this is the internet ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Line-6-POD-Studio-GX/dp/B001EHWD0I/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1356476348&sr=1-3&keywords=line6+toneport

one of the user reviews says the old version was cheaper, or maybe try and pick up a used one? i'm not sure if there are others in the same price range or cheaper... perhaps someone else knows, anyone? :)

actually i see Behringer do one too. don't know if it's any good, might be worth a look:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCA202.aspx

(not that it matters, but i think the term for these is USB interface, not DI. though i would say you're DIing into them... arrgh. anyway. :ninja: )

have a look at the FAQ at the top of this sub-forum too, there's some good advice. good luck!

13. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Im sorta confused, what kind of cable is used to hook up from the bass/amp to the interface?

14. knumbskull

knumbskull

15. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

That would make sense :p I see now why i need the DI box (or whatever its called) in the first place... now all i have to do is get it. Thanks a lot for your help

16. knumbskull

knumbskull

no worries, have fun!

17. Landy67

Landy67 Gold Supporting Member

I picked up a USB to instrument cable at Target for $10. It's a first act accessory and you can probably get them at Walmart, Best Buy or any other place that sells First Act stuff. To use it you still need something to do the recording, and I used Guitar FX which is an opensource program which means it's free and, there's no way to get help. :)

Or you could go the Toneport idea, which is the way I ultimately went. You get software from Line 6 that does a real good job of modeling different amps and pedals. I found one on eBay for short money. Tone Port

18. facepalmmaster

facepalmmaster

Id love to try ebay, but I was really hoping to use amazon or best buy because i have the gift cards for both of them, and i probably wouldnt be buying this stuff if i didnt have the gift cards.