1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Different knot possibilities for gut strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Troy Robey, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

I'm having a bass converted to a removable neck. I'd like to be able to leave the strings wound up on the pegs when I take the neck off, but my gut g&d strings (Gamuts with the standard knot) are looped through and around the tailpiece. Is there a different way to knot the string so that there is a ball at the end instead of a loop so that the string could slip out of the tailpiece holes when I take the neck off?

Another option is designing the tailpiece to come off when the neck is removed so that the strings just stay attached at both ends, but this seems more complicated.

2. Edvin

Edvin

on my pirastro chordas i just tied a big knot att the end and used it as i use strings with ball end. It worked great!

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    You can just tie a square knot in the tailpiece end and hook it into the tailpiece.

4. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Gold Supporting Member

What you're after is a stopper knot of some sort. An Ashley's stopper knot is the most ball shaped simple knot I can think of. There are others but they're much more complex and use a lot more cordage length.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

It's not exactly a knot, but here's what Upton recommends. Seems pretty secure:

7. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

Why not just remove the endpin along with the tailpiece? Keeping hard objects away from the varnish seems like a good thing.

8. martinc

martinc

I would be a bit concerned about how the gut strings would stand up to being loose and then tightened every time you removed the bass neck.
    Does this not shorten the life of guts..or any strings?

9. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

Thanks guys for all the ideas. I think my solution's in there somewhere. The guy on the Upton video suggests a washer along with a knot.. not a bad idea. KungFu.. I may go that route. If not, I'll certainly have to wrap the tailpiece up in a towel or something so it doesn't mess up the top. Martin... yeah, it will probably lower the longevity of the strings over time. I'll post some updates as I go along.... Thanks again!

10. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    Maple dowel(s) that slide through the loop on the end of the string? Pass the loop through the tailpiece, slide the dowel through the loop, then tighten the string.

John

11. Paul Barsic

Paul Barsic

JohnDavisNYC, I hate it that the loop end knots change the afterlengths, but so far I have just put up with it. I might give this dowel idea a shot.

12. JeffKissell

JeffKissell Supporting Member

I've never actually used the loop on any of the looped gut strings I've had. If the knot/loop surface seems small I'll use a washer. Currently I have two plain guts with knot/loops and two wound guts with knots only. I'm using washers with the wound strings but not the plain ones.

Regarding the OP, it's my understanding that the strings stay in the tailpiece and the tailpiece is removed from the end pin once the strings are loose. Then the whole thing- neck, strings & tailpiece is stowed together.

-J

13. Troy Robey

Troy Robey

Jeff - it does seem that most of the RN designs entail the the tailpiece coming off along with the neck. I think my luthier was suggesting we would leave it in place, but I'll talk with him about it some more.

John - thanks for the dowel idea!

14. Dilbertisme

Dilbertisme

I ordered my Gamuts with knots (costs an extra $1.50 or something like that) and with a felt washer to provide a bit of extra surface area, they work exactly like a ball-end string.