1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Different Kolstien Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by SirFunk, Sep 7, 2012.

1. SirFunk

SirFunk

Checking Kolstein's website they seem to be selling 3 models of bows (Oval Stamp, Kolstein & Sons and Sam Kolstein Registered) I am trying to discern the difference between the bows. Based on a couple other threads I have figured out that

Oval Stamp = Cheaper 'shop' bows
    Kolstein & Sons = Made after Sam passed

What I'm not sure about are the "registered" ones. I believe they are all stamped Samuel Kolstein. Are these the older bows made by Sam himself?

2. David Kaczorowski

David Kaczorowski

The best answer would come from the shop. However, my recollection is the oval stamp bows were made by Sam back in the '50's. "Registered" bows were made by Sam beginning at some later date (I don't know when) up till the time of his death. I don't remember where the Kolstein & Son bows fit into the picture, but one of my bows was a bow in progress when Sam died and was finished a short time later. The stamp is different. "S. Kolstein & Son, N.Y.", if memory serves.