Different Opinions of a Good Sound ?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Doley50, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Doley50

Doley50

Hello,

I play in a Pop- Top 40's- Rock cover band, We are a four piece band, Drums, Bass, Guitar and Vox. We also do backing Vox. I also run sound, which I love !!!
    The issue is the drummer prefers the larger then life 80's hair band sound. While I on the other hand I like a more clean sound, I like the space in music, especially if the song is a R&B type of song were there is an actually bass line.
    The guitar player is not very loud and we often have to tell him to turn up (Yes, We have to tell a guitar player to turn up)
    The issue is when we play a song like "I love R&R or Barracuda " all is fine, but if we do a song like " F**K You, or Pumped Up'd Kicks " The drummer complains and thinks they sound empty and need more guitar.Where as I think they sound great, nice space, everything can be heard.
    I am a team player, and playing in a cover-band is pretty new to me.
    My question is how much do you compromise from what you believe sounds good? It also seem like when the guitarist adds unnecessary distortion or does not play tight and uses power chords were they are not needed it does not sound full, it sounds messy.
    Any advise wold be great, as I said I am looking for a solution that all of can be happy with and most importantly the band sounding the best we can.

I am posting this in the Live Sound area, because I am sure some if not all, had to make adjustments to your bands sound and the way a song is played in order for it to sound best.

Thanks

John
  2. gareth dunster

gareth dunster

Its a matter of taste. If you like a sparce sound and your drummer likes sound saturated with guitar there has to be a compromise. Hopefully your tastes are both equally opposite sides of a reasonable compromise.
    The other issue is who hears what, and where. Are you talking about your recorded or live sound, or at practice?
  3. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I agree its a completely a matter of taste. Your guitarists is a bit outside the norm with the not being loud enough. If every metal guitarists had their way then every mix would sound like "and justice for all." If every metal bassists had their way everything would sound like sevendusts second album "home"

The solution I think would be to hang out with your drummer one night and just sit and listen to music together. Talk about mixes and find a reference song. A lot of the good soundguys Ive worked with use a reference song to work on their mixes. When we go to the studio we'll use references for tones and mixes.
  4. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Every band needs a musical leader. It will be nearly impossible to democratically agree on every nuance, especially if it's based on opinion where there isn't a "right" or "wrong" - just a preference.
  5. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

i run into this too, it's like choose, either have me overdriven hard and everybody else cleaner or have me clean and everybody else fuzzed out, but not everybody distorted, cause with two bass players and crunchy drums it's super farty or it sounds like somebody in a guitar store testing a crappy distortion pedal in 1992, sorry for the rant

the leader issue is always tenuous if somebody has to be in charge then they have to make good decisions period
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Who owns the PA?