1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Difficulty setting up this bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by isher1992, Jan 10, 2014.

1. isher1992

isher1992

I am trying to set up my action after a string change. I'm having an issue with getting the action low enough without it buzzing. It buzzes past the 10th fret. I've adjusted the truss rod and tried raising the action, but no matter what I do, nothing seems to work. It frets out around the 17th or 18th fret.
  2. pfox14

pfox14

Sounds like some frets may be high in which case the bass will need a fret leveling and re-crown. Also, most basses will buzz a little. If the buss is not noticeable through an amp, then it's probably OK the way that it is.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Are you using measurements or feel?

How high are your strings? How much relief do you have? Are you checking this fretbuzz amplified or un-amplified?
  4. isher1992

isher1992

It only buzzes through the amp past the 17th fret. At the 12th, it looks like it's buzzing at the 17th fret and it's also buzzing at the 11th when I fret 12. I haven't done it using measurement, I will probably do that shortly.
  5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I recommend giving Jerzy Drozd's setup guide a thorough reading. It will explain the entire process and the science behind it. If your issues persists after that, take it to a respected tech, it might need fretwork.
  6. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Ski jump. Trussrod won't touch it.