1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Dig onto the big band with karaoke

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by So Low Bass, Feb 22, 2014.

1. So Low Bass

So Low Bass

I’ve been really digging into Frank Sinatra’s big band recordings with the likes of Joe Comfort and stumbled onto karaoke- yes KARAOKE posts on YouTube. Some are the actual recordings minus the vocal and are miraculously revealing as to how Riddle, May, and Costa layered the big band over the cooking hot bass/drums. You get a different perspective as to how the bass and drums mix and hear the often otherwise inaudible guitar. For example:

Be careful not to mess with the computer generated stuff, AND some of the keys have been changed to slow down or speed up the tune (for some reason). Go you YouTube and search “Sinatra Karaoke”. I find some of these quit stunning.

2. petesenkowski

petesenkowski

Joe Comfort on bass and Bill Richmond on drums?

3. So Low Bass

So Low Bass

I'm no expert, but I'd guess Comfort and Irv Cottler or (Alvin?) Stoller. I'd love to find out.